Notices

16 inch wheels didn't fit

Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Sankuh is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
Sankuh's Tacoma Gallery
16 inch wheels didn't fit

Today I bought 2 separate set of 16 inch wheels from summit, just plain black steel wheels. And both times they did not fit. Both sets showed up as they would fit my truck, stock wheels 16 x 8, we tried different backspacing as well. Anyone know why rims keep hitting on the calipers?
I want to get some new wheels but now I don't want to order a set just to find out thy won't fit.
Or a good place to get the black steels wheels from?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
alexretama is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
alexretama's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how badly you want them to fit, I've seen people shave their calipers with a grinder.. Also depending on where the calipers are making contact, theres a spec called the x-factor used to estimate caliper clearence. Its the distance from the back of the mounting pad to the back of the spokes..
Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
What backspacing are the wheels? year of your truck?.
I second this question and add: do you have VSC?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexretama View Post
Depending on how badly you want them to fit, I've seen people shave their calipers with a grinder.. Also depending on where the calipers are making contact, theres a spec called the x-factor used to estimate caliper clearence. Its the distance from the back of the mounting pad to the back of the spokes..
I would not sacrifice a chance of an accident for some rims,

personally OP I would just sell/return the rims and try again.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankuh View Post
Anyone know why rims keep hitting on the calipers?
because you need consider offset as well as BS'ing.

the center chunk of the wheel must have the proper coning (flare)
at the wheel's hub mount... to clear the calipers

Not every wheel will fit... just because the BS'ing is correct.

Many wheel retail shops... just don't really get that.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
OP can you post a link to the wheels you bought? Thanks. I've always had good results with Summit
Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
For plain black steel wheels, order Toyota PN 42601-AF010, fits everything from old 100-series Land Cruisers to 2012 Tacos.

EDIT: Hey! My gallery pic is nearly top-ranked on Google when searching for 42601-AF010.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
For plain black steel wheels, order Toyota PN 42601-AF010, fits everything from old 100-series Land Cruisers to 2012 Tacos.

EDIT: Hey! My gallery pic is nearly top-ranked on Google when searching for 42601-AF010.

Cool, what the hell is 42601-AF010 ??.....
Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexretama View Post
I've seen people shave their calipers with a grinder..
Don't do that. There's a liquid chamber behind that hump.

Get these. Guaranteed fit. Wheeler's is good people. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm
Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
thats dirt cheap!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the OP was looking for plain black steel wheels?

Interesting enough, the best price for this PN is from a Canadian site, $50 each:
http://www.tiretrends.com/wheel_info...detailID=36675
Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Sankuh is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
Sankuh's Tacoma Gallery
My truck is a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD.
The set of wheels that didn't fit were summit brand
Here are the links:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-85-6883/

I think I am just gonna go with the wheelers, since they are meant to fit.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
AdmiralOtter is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Boatswainsmate
Name: AdmiralOtter
AdmiralOtter's Tacoma Gallery
where is the best place to get a set of those FJ OEM steelies for cheap?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
I Bought those exact wheels but in a 15" size. Mine rubbed the caliper so I put 1/4" wheel spacers up front. A lot of people say that they 1/4" wheels spacers don't leave you enough thread to grab onto. I've been checking my lug nuts every few days for the past 3 weeks and they haven't budged at all.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
so I put 1/4" wheel spacers up front. A lot of people say that they 1/4" wheels spacers don't leave you enough thread to grab onto.
that depends on what wheels and center chunk thickness.

my current alloys are much thicker then what my previous
wheeler's steelies were.

I had to extend the stud length to compensate some.
Probably not the case if running steelies.

I recommend 8 - 10 turns of the lug nut, on the stud
regardless of what wheel
Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
that depends on what wheels and center chunk thickness.

my current alloys are much thicker then what my previous
wheeler's steelies were.

I had to extend the stud length to compensate some.
Probably not the case if running steelies.

I recommend 8 - 10 turns of the lug nut, on the stud
regardless of what wheel
I think I went from 8-9 with stock wheels to 7 with the steelies. If they would have kept backing out, I would have just bit the bullet and bought some Wheelers Steelies. I got lucky though.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #19
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a set of stock OEM steelies that I'm switching to, I think they'll look pretty good cleaned up & painted

I have a set of old 8 spoke (look like old Jackman rims, which most of you prolly never heard of )

They clear my calipers by 1/32 inch....
Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Picture or it didn't happen

Here's mine with Konig Countersteers