Notices

New Tacoma owner, need advice on removing body lift/new lift

Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Seanawstin is on a distinguished road
Army: Combat Engineer
Name: Sean
Seanawstin's Tacoma Gallery
New Tacoma owner, need advice on removing body lift/new lift

Hey, all. I am new to this forum and a new toyota tacoma prerunner owner. I bought it and it has 6in body lift on it. I hate this and want to remove it, would it be hard to remove this myself? Also, I would like to put a new lift on it, I have read a bunch of threads but don't really answer my questions;
Will the bilstein/OEM combo be acceptable for minor off roading? And in the future if I want to get a bigger lift is there a way to add to that lift setup, or would I have to get a complete new lift? I eventually want to get a long travel installed, but can't do it now. My budget is about $1,000.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Most 6 inch lifts (IIRC) include cutting out the factory cross member to install the one included in the lift. I am sure there is some way to undo what has been done but I'm not sure it is going to be worth the effort. Why settle for something you hate?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
I didn't settle, I like the truck, and I like a challenge. Haha, but I was also informed it was a suspension lift, which I am aware now that it's not. Is there anyway to lower the lift? Even going over speed bumps too fast it hits real hard. What is that from?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
To really know how to help, a picture of your setup would be nice if you have one.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Woah woah woah

Hold on here
Did you say a 6inch BODY LIFT???
Did you mean a 6" lift kit? Or a 3" lift kit with a 3" body lift?
Pics of setup please cause if you have a 6" body lift, then that's the first time I've ever heard of one like that
Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Woah woah woah

Hold on here
Did you say a 6inch BODY LIFT???
Did you mean a 6" lift kit? Or a 3" lift kit with a 3" body lift?
Pics of setup please cause if you have a 6" body lift, then that's the first time I've ever heard of one like that
I was thinking the same
Old 09-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Well since you've never seen it before, I probably don't have it!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanawstin View Post
Well since you've never seen it before, I probably don't have it!
Pics please ! Anything is possible and the previous owner couldve had one custom made.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
pics or it didnt happen
Old 09-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
"If you Didn't know,now you know"
blackhorse is a jewel in the roughblackhorse is a jewel in the roughblackhorse is a jewel in the roughblackhorse is a jewel in the rough

Name: Rick
blackhorse's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah,thats a new one,6" body? i have 3 1/5" fabtech suspention/3"body lift. still rides stiff,but handles well.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Old 09-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #13

Old 09-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Can you take a pic of the truck from the front?
Im a 2nd gen so I may be missing it but I don't see a spacer lift and looks like regular coils
Cant tell from that pic if it has a body lift tho
Old 09-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
So, tell me I was wrong....
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
DerpWerx Fab

Ohhh looks like you got a 3" block lift in the rear with a 3" spacer lift up front.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong tho
Old 09-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Okay, good. I didn't want a 6 in body lift, so that's good news. Now, can I just remove that block fairly easily? And how do I go about taking the spacer off of the front. Is the spacer the reason I hit bumps so hard?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Okay, good. I didn't want a 6 in body lift, so that's good news. Now, can I just remove that block fairly easily? And how do I go about taking the spacer off of the front. Is the spacer the reason I hit bumps so hard?
Well hold on now, you can still have a 3" body lift under there. On 2nd gens its easy to tell But idk bout 1st gens.
That's where someone with a 1st gen can pitch in and ask the questions they need to ask lol

Removal of the spacer and block is pretty simple. There's plenty of write ups on here if you Use the search button.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
I was wondering when I was going to be sent to the search button...

thanks for the help guys
Old 09-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #20
pictures of what exactly?