Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

The 95-97 Taco Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #581
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RZ Taco View Post
inner
Then I can understand being charged a higher price. The inner tie rods are more difficult, and almost every one requires a special tool to remove it. They are also more expensive. Just for curiosity sake, I am going to run your vehicle in my database to see what my shop would have quoted you for the repair. I will check Saturday morning.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #582
3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough

Army: 91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Austin
3RZ Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Then I can understand being charged a higher price. The inner tie rods are more difficult, and almost every one requires a special tool to remove it. They are also more expensive. Just for curiosity sake, I am going to run your vehicle in my database to see what my shop would have quoted you for the repair. I will check Saturday morning.
I replaced all 4 ties rods with a pickle fork, hammer, some sockets, a pair of pliers, a big flat head screwdriver, 2 cresent wrenches and a big pair of pliers. Took 4 hours with 30 minutes of smoking cigerettes and waiting for my left outter tie rod to get to the parts store. Spent a total of 75$
Old 10-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #583
marsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud of
Name: Marshall
marsh97's Tacoma Gallery
Is it okay to spray the inside of the wheel wells with something to make it black. Like how some people do that bed liner stuff? Anybody done that? Also is it okay to spray paint the thing that the wheels sit on? So its blends in with my new black rims coming?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #584
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh97 View Post
Is it okay to spray the inside of the wheel wells with something to make it black. Like how some people do that bed liner stuff? Anybody done that? Also is it okay to spray paint the thing that the wheels sit on? So its blends in with my new black rims coming?
Yes its ok to spray inside the wheel wells.
What do you mean where the wheels sit? The lug studs?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #585
marsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud ofmarsh97 has much to be proud of
marsh97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
Yes its ok to spray inside the wheel wells.
What do you mean where the wheels sit? The lug studs?
Thanks.
And lol, no the wheel drum
Old 10-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #586
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh97 View Post
Thanks.
And lol, no the wheel drum
Yeah you can paint that too. Just not the front rotors, obviously.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #587
marsh97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
Yeah you can paint that too. Just not the front rotors, obviously.

Thanks TacomaBROss
Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #588
3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough

i painted my wheel wells and chassis with black undercoating in a rattle can :P
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #589
Firefighter:
Anyone here know how to save a video from youtube to your computer?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #590
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
You guys shouldve came to the tw glamis meet! It was badass!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #592
Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Download Realplayer. It will allow you to download and convert it to whatever
Thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #593

Plasti-Derped my wheels!

Tie rods!

Devil Horned Skid Plate!

Mudding pics from last week!

And the first picture with my new camera!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #594
Firefighter:

I almost did that to my wheels instead of the full black. Looks good!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #595

i love the look! its just a pain in the ass to remove the masking tape so if you look at them closely they look a little messed up because the Plasti-Derp bridges to the masking ;'(

But when i do my lift i am going to have them powdercoated like that :P
Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #596
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I replaced all 4 ties rods with a pickle fork, hammer, some sockets, a pair of pliers, a big flat head screwdriver, 2 cresent wrenches and a big pair of pliers. Took 4 hours with 30 minutes of smoking cigarettes and waiting for my left outter tie rod to get to the parts store. Spent a total of 75$
If I am misunderstanding your point, then please, let me know, but it seems like you are saying that shops are trying to rip you off. Yes, it may have cost you only $75. Does that include you getting and maintaining your tool set? How about an alignment afterwards? (I don't know of a single customer who would find it acceptable for a shop to replace their tie rods and NOT align the steering) What about your time? 4.5 hours of YOUR time may not be that big of a deal when planning the work on your own vehicle. The job itself calls for 1.8 hours (yes, some people can do it faster, but the labor time guides are an average listing of labor time to complete the work) This 1.8 hours will set the base for your labor charges. Some shops in larger towns charge as much as $100 or more per hour of labor. This would equate to $180. Parts are another question. Did you purchase lifetime warranty quality parts? I have no idea. Personally I only use Moog steering components as their quality and warranty are second to none. Parts prices also vary based on location. A set of Moog inner tie rods list for $103.06 each. Here at my shop, for a Tacoma of your year, I sell them for $82.98 each. Expensive? not really considering I am much below list price. Now here is the kicker. If your self-installed part fails, you obviously know that you will have to replace it, even if the warranty covers the part. This means another potential 4.5 hours of your time. Here in my shop, if the parts fail, you drop off your truck and go on your way, while I replace them, no charge to you.
Maybe I am just misunderstanding what you have been saying about the cost, but in all honesty, do you really expect a shop to replace your inner and outer tie rods for $75? If so, then you have no idea what it takes to run a shop. We have overhead and employees to pay. I don't know what you do for a living, but think about it. Would you do your job for someone at the same cost it would be for them to do it themselves? I doubt it.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #597

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
If I am misunderstanding your point, then please, let me know, but it seems like you are saying that shops are trying to rip you off. Yes, it may have cost you only $75. Does that include you getting and maintaining your tool set? How about an alignment afterwards? (I don't know of a single customer who would find it acceptable for a shop to replace their tie rods and NOT align the steering) What about your time? 4.5 hours of YOUR time may not be that big of a deal when planning the work on your own vehicle. The job itself calls for 1.8 hours (yes, some people can do it faster, but the labor time guides are an average listing of labor time to complete the work) This 1.8 hours will set the base for your labor charges. Some shops in larger towns charge as much as $100 or more per hour of labor. This would equate to $180. Parts are another question. Did you purchase lifetime warranty quality parts? I have no idea. Personally I only use Moog steering components as their quality and warranty are second to none. Parts prices also vary based on location. A set of Moog inner tie rods list for $103.06 each. Here at my shop, for a Tacoma of your year, I sell them for $82.98 each. Expensive? not really considering I am much below list price. Now here is the kicker. If your self-installed part fails, you obviously know that you will have to replace it, even if the warranty covers the part. This means another potential 4.5 hours of your time. Here in my shop, if the parts fail, you drop off your truck and go on your way, while I replace them, no charge to you.
Maybe I am just misunderstanding what you have been saying about the cost, but in all honesty, do you really expect a shop to replace your inner and outer tie rods for $75? If so, then you have no idea what it takes to run a shop. We have overhead and employees to pay. I don't know what you do for a living, but think about it. Would you do your job for someone at the same cost it would be for them to do it themselves? I doubt it.
I payed 100$ in parts, including all 4 tie rods, and boots for them.

Falcon and Moog tie rods are the exact same thing, just different boxes. They are made in the same factory and stored in the same warehouse, just put in different boxes.

I have over 60,000$ worth the tools in my garage, all Craftsman and Mac.

So then if you figure in a 50$ camber/alignment from Hunter that is only 150$ spent towards replacing ALL of my tie rods, where as goodyear and les schwabs wanted 415$ to do it.

I understand that shops need to make money, i understand the cost of labor is high. I am not saying they are a "rip off" in any way. I am just saying, why would i pay 415$ for someone else to replace the part when i could do it my self for a fraction of the cost?

Also, i know exactly what was done to my truck when i do the work myself. There are always going to be consequences with doing it yourself. Where as when i had goodyear look at it the removed the inner tie rod from the rack and pinion and when i said i needed to do some checking they put it back together. That was fine with me, BUT they decided to only tighten the tie rod about half way back in. If i would have chosen to go drive around i could have easily damaged my truck beyond 415$ worth the damage. It is careless rush like that that makes me want to do my own work.

415$ is not a bad price if you don't know what you're doing but for someone like me who is highly mechanically inclined i would rather do it my self and know exactly whats has been done and how.

I did not have to buy tools for this job, I used a 200$ Snap-on air gun to remove the castle nuts, a 100$ set of snap-on sockets, a 25$ craftsman pipe wrench, a 20$ pocket knife, a 5$ flat head screwdriver, and 2 10$ cresent wrenches. If you were on a budget you could use a 10$ set of sockets, a 8$ set of metric wrenches, a 10$ rachet, and a 5$ pipe wrench.

370$ worth my tools
33$ cheap tools

370+100+50 (Tools)(parts)(alignment)
OR
415(total shop cost)
OR
33+100+50 (Tools)(pasts)(alignment)

520$ (my total cost with tools, parts, alignment)
Or
415$ (shop cost)
Or
183$ (cheap tools, parts, alignment)

People who can do it would obviously choose to buy cheap tools, people like me with the tools will do it themselves, people who cant do it or dont have time will choose a shop.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #598
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...20$ pocket knife...
I was disappointed by this, you deserve a quality knife sir.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #599
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Tucked the wheels. But also grinded my gears

Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #600

HAhahahaha, I live by OLD-TIMER knifes and the occasional smith and wesson. My skinning knifes are where it gets very expensive :P

Products Discussed in this Thread