Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

The 95-97 Taco Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #1261
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasebrooks14 View Post
where'd you get those sliders?
fixed
Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #1263
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
You're right, I need to get around to getting the chrome off... I was actually thinking about a graphite color for the front grill bezel and wheels, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Ideas are welcome on that front for sure.

I actually bought my sliders used from a guy in Wyoming. They are the older bolt-on CBI extended cab sliders. They are .120 wall HREW tube, so they'd be pretty easy to make with a manual tube bender and welder!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #1264
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I had a couple of other questions for you guys...

1. Are you all still running stock length rear leaf springs? If so, what kind of wheel travel numbers are you getting in the rear?

2. For you guys running 33x12.5 tires. Did you have to do any trimming beyond the pinch weld and immediate body to clear your tires?

Thanks,

Lumpskie
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #1266
Independant Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
I went with OME dakars, and a 2" lift shackle in the rear. Not sure the travel I get, but I max out my 12" billies in the stock mounting location.

Good Info.

What is the eye to eye measurement of your shackle and do you have any pics of your rig flexed out?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #1267
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
I had a couple of other questions for you guys...

1. Are you all still running stock length rear leaf springs? If so, what kind of wheel travel numbers are you getting in the rear?

2. For you guys running 33x12.5 tires. Did you have to do any trimming beyond the pinch weld and immediate body to clear your tires?

Thanks,

Lumpskie
I have stock length maybe a tad longer. 1" lift shackles. Only have 10" billies and have pretty impressive travel. Haven't measured it but I'm sure I'm maxing out my shocks in stock location.

I did for 12.5s. Hammed the fire wall and cut the fenders by the fire wall too
Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #1268
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
Good Info.

What is the eye to eye measurement of your shackle and do you have any pics of your rig flexed out?

Not near my truck at the moment, but they are ToyTec 2" lift shackles. Their website may have the measurements.

This is the only rear flex pic I have, and it was before I put the billies on it, but the old shocks were the same length. This is right after I installed the dakars and shackles. Tires were on the ground, so I likely could have gotten a little more out of it but that was the top of that dirt pile.

If you go this route, you will need to extend your bump stops by about 5". Another measurement that I will need to get an exact number on.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #1269
Independant Thinker

^Ok, I'm getting some good info here...

So, right now, I've got the Toytec 1" lift shackle on my rig, along with Bilstein 7100 short bodies. It seems like my suspension is binding and not allowing my full range of motion. I want to use the full 12" of travel out of my shocks. Compression looks good, but I want more extension. I'm thinking that slightly longer main leafs, slightly longer shackles and orbit eyes would help me out a bunch...

Pics:

Shock Compression:

Shock Extension:

Thanks for the info and keep it coming! I need to learn as much as possible here...
Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #1271
Independant Thinker

Man, you might be right. I'll have to measure when I get the chance. I thought I had a bit left in them, being the 12" instead of 10" but it looks close...

Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #1273
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
^Next time you're out somewhere that you can flax, disconnect your shocks. Find a spot to let the rear droop as much as your springs will allow, then measure.

Also doable if you have a long enough hi lift.

To a point.. You dont want to be flattening your springs out. He should probly extend his bumps so when hes on them it doesnt completely flatten the springs out. Constantly flattening out your springs will cause premature wear.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #1274
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
To a point.. You dont want to be flattening your springs out. He should probly extend his bumps so when hes on them it doesnt completely flatten the springs out. Constantly flattening out your springs will cause premature wear.

This is true. Mine bottom out with a slight U still in them.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #1275
Independant Thinker

Tomorrow I hope to get both the shock measurements as well as the measurements for my extended bumpstops. I think I'll just extend the top strike plate down... is that what you guys typically do?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #1277
Independant Thinker

^Good to know. I'll post up measurements, if I can get them, later today.

In the mean time, does anyone else have spring length, Shackle length and wheel travel info? Flexed out pics instead of wheel travel would be useful to.

Blackdawg: Can you get your 33s down below the body of your truck?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #1278
Independant Thinker

So, I did some measurements last night and had some interesting results. It looks like my shocks have 5 more inches of extension left in them. (extended length of the shock is 28" and full extension on the truck is only 23")

The reason seems to be the binding in the leafs at extension:

The shackle angles show me that I need a longer main leaf. Here are a couple pics at full compression and full extension. (I've done the calculations and figured out that, if I go with a one inch longer shackle, I need a two inch longer main leaf giving me a 47 degree shackle angle. I'll post a thread about how I figured that out sometime.)

Full Extension:

Full Compression:

Does anyone else have bad binding problems in their leafs?

The front suspension, on the other hand is looking good. Almost exactly 11" of wheel travel, and my Light Racing UCAs have plenty of motion left in them:

I don't think I want to go any longer on the shocks because the axle is already at a severe angle:

So, overall, I think I might order up an Alcan main leaf, 2" longer than I have now. And I'll get a 6.5" Orbit eye Shackle setup. My hope: around 4" additional down travel. What do you all think?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #1279
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I don't seem to have leaf binding...My main leaf is a Alcan from a Wheelers 5 pack. 1'' lift shackles..

ive never really measured my wheel travel tho..droop a 33'' tire past my sliders tho..

not surprised you have a lot of shock left. 12'' shocks are huge on our trucks. Really you should relocate them like /\. Your shocks are probably binding as well. I almost went with orbit eyes too. But was told by Alcan they don't handle weight great. So i didn't .
Old 05-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #1280
Independant Thinker

Man, your shackle angles tell the story. It looks like they are moving waaay more freely than mine. Also, it looks like you are running 3 or 4 leafs in your pack. I wonder if the fact that I've got 8 in mine is part of the difference. It seems like each leaf is helping the others resist the torsion. Whatever it is, I want my suspension to flex more like yours....

It's interesting that Alcan told you that the orbit eyes didn't handle weight well. I'll have to ask them more about that. I mentioned that I am going to build a rear bumper with a tire carrier for expo trips and they said the eyes should be fine, but I never asked explicitly about weight. I'll call them on Monday and check on it.

Out of curiosity, which shocks are you running and are you still in the stock mounts? I'm just wondering what lengths you are getting and if you see any binding in your rear...

Thanks, as usual, for the info Blackdawg.

Products Discussed in this Thread