Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to increase headroom

Old 01-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
tentpig@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
tentpig@yahoo.com's Tacoma Gallery
How to increase headroom

I have an opportunity to get a 2001 Tacoma SR5 for cheap money.

However, at 6'1" tall, when I sit in the stock seats at the most comfortable setting for me, I'm staring at the top of the window and every bump I hit results in my head hitting the roof.

(Yes, I could 'recline' the seats more, but then I'm not in a comfortable driving position).

What options would I have for modifications / new seats that would increase the headroom?

Would appreciate any thoughts, I'd love to buy this truck but it isn't practical if I can't get more headroom

Thanks,
Vinny
Old 01-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
you can either put new seats in, or cut the roof out. I think those are about your options
Old 01-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Thanks. I gathered #1 is an option. #2 wouldn't be an option since there isn't currently a moon roof nor likely to be one in the future.

I guess the logical question would be -- what aftermarket modifications are there that would allow me to gain another 1 or 2 inches of headroom, what seats are available and how much headroom could I gain, etc.

I'm not a toyota truck guy so I'm not really familiar w/ the options, and googling didn't yield a hell of a lot of useful information.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
you can search around on toyota forums, as alot of people have done alot of different swaps. You can do anything from swapping in other toyota truck seats(direct bolt in i believe) to custom fabricating seats. Celica seats seem to be popular
Old 01-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Braaaaap!
Motoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to behold

Name: Caleb
Motoknuckle's Tacoma Gallery
Try lowering the factory seat brackets. Seem's like there is plenty of room under the seats for them to be lowered.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
What cab type (Regular Cab / XtraCab / Double Cab) is this 2001? And what seats does it currently have in it (single bench; 60/40 split bench; buckets)?

If it's a Regular Cab with a single bench seat, you could swap in Tacoma buckets of the same generation and get a slightly lower seat bottom height.

If it's got either the 60/40's or the buckets, other Taco buckets won't be lower.

I think you may be able to drop the seat up to 1" if you're willing to chop the mounting base 'legs' and re-weld it back together.

No other Toyota seats will transplant into a 2001 Taco 'as is'. Certain 4Runner and Celica seats will line up with 3 out of 4 bolt holes. I don't know offhand if either of these would sit you lower, but I'd bet if either did it'd be the Celica seats.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaGaia View Post
What cab type (Regular Cab / XtraCab / Double Cab) is this 2001? And what seats does it currently have in it (single bench; 60/40 split bench; buckets)?
Its an Xtra Cab w/ the bucket seats. The bucket seats don't seem all that bucket-like though, they're fairly flat and don't have the typical U-shaped section for your ass like most bucket seats seem to, but its definitely not a bench seat nor 60/40 split bench. They're factory stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaGaia View Post
If it's got either the 60/40's or the buckets, other Taco buckets won't be lower.

I think you may be able to drop the seat up to 1" if you're willing to chop the mounting base 'legs' and re-weld it back together.
Bummer. Although its "cheap money", its still more than I'd be willing to spend to take the chance. I'd certainly be willing to hack the mounting base if I knew I'd get the requisite headroom, but it sounds like I'd have to play around with it to find out.

I guess I'll have to keep searching for a 2005+ Tacoma which is affordable, I definitely fit in one of those w/o a problem.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:29 AM   #8
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 6'3" and have no problem in my '01 Taco DoubleCab. I have plenty of head room. It is a Limited model with the "Sport Bucket" seats. I know they are different than the regular buckets, but I'm now sure why... I only found this out when I went to order Wet Okole seat covers. Apparently there is a difference in which bucket seats your Tacoma has based on what option package you got with it. The Limited models have "Sport Bucket" seats and the others just have regular buckets. If anyone knows exactly what the difference is I would love to know. Also, I don't have my seats leaned back really far (I hate driving like that) but they're not at a 90 degree angle either.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Compared to 'regular buckets', the Limited 'Sport Bucket' seats have different trim materials, slightly different bolster / cushion profiles, and an electric lumbar support feature on the driver's side seat.

These seats came only on Tacomas equipped with the optional Limited Package and on S-Runners.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Spartacus!
XBrown is on a distinguished road

Name: Xavier
XBrown's Tacoma Gallery
The 60/40 seats in my 99' Taco felt way lower than the seats in my 04'. My guess is they changed in 01'. Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
just recline the seat... It will be a million times easier than anything else. I am 6' and after a week or so, you get used to it.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Yea im 6' 2" and i just recline, my parents always tell me im too big for my truck.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
I have a 2001 X-Cab TRD. I am not sure if the bucket seats are different but I have no problem in them. I am nearly 6'3" and don't lean the seat all the way back. In fact, my 5 year old is able to sit behind me. Check out the TRD seats, they might be a bit different.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoknuckle View Post
Try lowering the factory seat brackets. Seem's like there is plenty of room under the seats for them to be lowered.
agreed knock an inch or so out
Old 01-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
im also 6'1 and have no issues...slide the seat forward and then recline the back just a bit...

im nowhere NEAR the headliner and my line of sight is below the AS1 line on the windshield
Old 01-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #16
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
im 6'3 and i got mine all the way back and reciled