Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Possibly burning oil? Help

Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Mini Truckin'
Az lowtacoma is a splendid one to beholdAz lowtacoma is a splendid one to beholdAz lowtacoma is a splendid one to beholdAz lowtacoma is a splendid one to beholdAz lowtacoma is a splendid one to beholdAz lowtacoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Seth
Az lowtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Possibly burning oil? Help

So when I leave from work at night start my truck up put it in reverse and back up and then a cloud of smoke come out from what appears to be my hood. So I don't know if my truck is burning oil or since I park under a tree and by a dirt lot if maybe I'm sturring up dust. I oly notice this at night and it has been going on for a while but I check my oil and its still at good levels. I did use a K&N oil filter this time too. Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Do a compression test. That's the only way how to tell if your piston rings are worn or if you have scored cylinder walls thus allowing oil into the combustion chamber. You can rent compression tester at Autozone...

It could also be bad head gasket. When head gasket goes bad, it allows coolant get to combustion chamber. When truck sits it seeps through the bad head gasket into the combustion chamber and pools in the cylinders, once you start it up, coolant starts to burn off making your truck smoke.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Mini Truckin'
Az lowtacoma is a splendid one to beholdAz lowtacoma is a splendid one to beholdAz lowtacoma is a splendid one to beholdAz lowtacoma is a splendid one to beholdAz lowtacoma is a splendid one to beholdAz lowtacoma is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedTaco View Post
Do a compression test. That's the only way how to tell if your piston rings are worn or if you have scored cylinder walls thus allowing oil into the combustion chamber. You can rent compression tester at Autozone...
Alright i will have to try that to see if thats the case. Thanks for the info
Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az lowtacoma View Post
So when I leave from work at night start my truck up put it in reverse and back up and then a cloud of smoke come out from what appears to be my hood. So I don't know if my truck is burning oil or since I park under a tree and by a dirt lot if maybe I'm sturring up dust. I oly notice this at night and it has been going on for a while but I check my oil and its still at good levels. I did use a K&N oil filter this time too. Thoughts?
Missed the part where you said smoke is coming from the hood...lol Thought you are talking about exhaust.

Could be some fluid (not necessarily oil) leaking on a part under the hood which gets hot (like exhaust) and once you start it the fluid starts to burn off creating smoke...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Mini Truckin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedTaco View Post
Missed the part where you said smoke is coming from the hood...lol Thought you are talking about exhaust.

Could be some fluid (not necessarily oil) leaking on a part under the hood which gets hot (like exhaust) and once you start it the fluid starts to burn off creating smoke...
I haven't seen any smoke coming out of my exhaust at all. Any thoughts about what could poaaibly be leaking cause i have checked under the hood quite a bit lately and havent noticed anything
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Hmm well I did add some coolant recently too but it seems to be at the same level as after i added it. If my cylinders are scored what can be done about it?
Engine would have to be pulled, long block taken to machine shop. Machine shop would bore the cylinders, then you would have to get appropriate size piston rings. How much it would have to be bored over that depends on how much damage there is to cylinder walls.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
I haven't seen any smoke coming out of my exhaust at all. Any thoughts about what could poaaibly be leaking cause i have checked under the hood quite a bit lately and havent noticed anything
Hard to say over the internet without seeing the truck in person...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Mini Truckin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Try and narrow the origin of the smoke. Stop parking under the tree and see if a friend can help. have them start while you watch for the smoke under acceleration when the truck is cold, whether in park or driving forward. Due to the backing up the smoke may be traveling under the truck and reappearing in the front. To many unknowns to diag properly. Power wash the belly of the truck and engine compartment so you can start with elimination of exterior leakage first. GL OP
Good points there i will definatly try that as well thank you
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
humtaco is on a distinguished road
humtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Burning oil is extremely strong smelling. Put a few drops on a hot exhaust manifold and see how it smells.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Mini Truckin'

Today i didnt park under the tree either and no smoke again. So i think it was just from dirt that was under/by the tree that was being blown around cause smoke/dust . However thanks again for all the info!