1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

75w90 Mobil 1 Synthetic Lube = Axle Whine

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by uncleelihu, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Jan 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    uncleelihu

uncleelihu [OP] Active Member

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    13 DC 4x4 TRD Sport Pyrite Mica
    2017 4Runner Wheels, Debadged, Wet Okoles
    I replaced the rear axle lube in my 2002 PreRunner with Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 4000 miles ago and I now have a "Rrrrrr" sound from the rear axle. Also a "thunk" on right-hand turns.

Axle code is B04A.

As I bought this truck used, I don't know what lube was in the axle previously.

Initially, I thought the "whine" was from the Michelin LTX M&S tires that were installed at the same time. When I removed the Michelins and put the Coopers back on the rear, noise is still there.

It looks like Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and Amsoil do not make a straight 90 weight synthetic gear lube in consumer packaging.

Any suggestions besides going back to 90 weight dino?

2. Jan 18, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  3. Jan 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I have yet to do mine in my 06' but I've been told by numerous people to use some "friction modifier" that comes in a 4oz. little bottle. It is a break-in additive thats supposed to help. But again, I still have about 6,000 more miles to go to change out my diff oil.

4. Jan 18, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do you have a LSD, did you add the additive?

5. Jan 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    uncleelihu

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    I’ve used Mobil 1 motor oil for years, and Amsoil gear lubes and been very pleased with the service I have gotten from them.

This noise after lube change is a new one on me, and it may be that the gears are worn enough that I will have to go back to 90w dino to make things “quiet” again.

Janster:

Yeah, I thought it was odd, also.

The old lube was black, and the drain plug was coated with metal particles. Might have been the original lube, but don’t know that. Truck has 128K miles on it, and I bought it with 115K on it, so not sure how previous owners treated it.

WW_Firefighter:

I think the “friction modifier” is the additive for Limited-Slip axles.

When the rear axle lube on my 2005 Dakota was changed, I told the dealer that the truck had a limited slip axle, and to be sure to add the special additive for that. He kind of blew me off, and I ended taking the truck back and let them hear the chattering from the clutches. They put in the additive and no more problems. Glad to be rid of the Dakota!

Sonjay:

The B04A code indicates no limited slip, as I understand the codes. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Jan 18, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I have a non lsd-non locker third, 95K on a stock truck(Bo4A) also. Switched to mobil one at 92K, drove to and from Georgia back to Florida. No problems. You are in the great white north with more miles than mine has, right? At 92K my differential oil was so clean and the magnetic plug had a "paste" on it but no metal shave/particles on it. My rear end is quiet, no jokes here please, "THAT'S NOT WHAT YOUR GIRLFRIEND SAID!!" There, I beat you all to it. Seriously, I did the rear end, tranmission, front diff and transfer case all at or around 92K on a 1999 Tacoma and there were no metal shavings and the oil was really clean. You might want to look into a set of gears if it gets any worse, also I am not sure if a straight weight oil will quiet it down only to prolong the enivetible. Good Luck Kevin

7. Jan 18, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    Somewhere on TW there is an oil thread that someone states the multi weight oils are really pushing the limits of their ability to work on the extreme ends of both ranges, example 75W90 doesnt do good at the close end of 75 and the far end of 90 might be pushing it. It's a cheap try to change back to factory, especially if you are in an extreme climate. It's worth a try. Kevin

8. Jan 18, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    uncleelihu

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, monkeysuncle.

I live northwest of DFW in Texas. I did my lube change before a trip to Minnesota last month. Figured the 75w90 would work fine in the cold. A -14 F. was the coldest day, and the truck worked fine, but I was glad to get back to more balmy temps here in North Texas.

The rear end wasn't making any noise that I could hear before the change over to synthetic. I'm thinking now that I will drain the Mobil 1 and switch over to straight 90w dino, and things might go back to "normal".

The PreRunner is used 99% on the highway and gravel roads between town and my place in the country, so no "extreme" off-road situations for me. I like the synthetics for extending the life of things, and possibly getting a bit better mileage.

I appreciate the PreRunner's height off the ground, as it is easier for me to crawl around under and work on. Of course, a good creeper helps!

9. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    uncleelihu

Member:
    MN, At The Lake
    Vehicle:
    Before changing out the axle lube, I am going to lube the U-Joints.

The sound is not like that of the last 2 trucks I changed out U-Joints on (F-150 4x4), so I didn't really consider those to be a possibility, but I'm having a hard time getting my mind around the idea that switching to synthetic is causing the problem.

Easier to lube them and see if the problem is solved rather than swapping out new axle lube.

Thanks to all for the ideas!

10. Feb 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    im going to be hopefullly doing this tomorrow on my 96 with 126K on it..

Should any 75w90 be ok? non lsd rear end.

11. Aug 2, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    dirtnut1

dirtnut1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Bel Air
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Long Bed 4x4 SR5
    Stainless Step Bars, Access Bed Cover, K&N Air Filter
    Hi guys,
    I'm new to the forum. My 06 double cab 4x4 has the LS rear diff. I changed the oil/lube this week and installed Mobil 1 75w-90 LS. I bought this because it is supposed to have the LS additive in it. Since changing, I started getting some shuddering when making a tight turn.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Do I need to add a separate additive?

Thanks!

12. Aug 2, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yes.........you will need to add a bottle of friction modifier to the mobil1. the bottle says its compatible, but apparently, there isnt enough of the friction modifier in the gear oil for the limited slips on the tacomas. quite a few ran into problems using just the oil without adding any additive to it. and from what i hear..its just the mobil1. people have used royal purple in the ls diffs without any problems.

13. Aug 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have tried adding LS modifier to the Mobil 1 to no avail. Your best bet may be to use the oil and LS addative the dealer sells.

Products Discussed in

To Top