1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 Tacoma Help - Dealer wants $1,800 for drive shaft replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Matthewlost, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Oct 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    Matthewlost

Matthewlost [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2003 Prerunner SR5 X-Cab, V6
    I need some help here. No way can I afford $1,800 for a new drive shaft. I was experiencing a sudden loss of power and a noticeable pull back and slowing while the rpms dropped. The powerloss and rpm drop occurred within a second or so and went back to normal. It got old, so I brought my 2003 3.4l tacoma to the dealer. They had the truck for two days then said it was my drive shaft, carrier bearing, u-joint assembly. They want to replace the whole shebang for $1,800. Not a chance. I've replaced hard to reach engine mounts and know my way around vehicles, so I'm pretty sure I can accomplish this job if it needs to be done. Any ideas on where to get parts or how to go about getting this fixed?

I stood underneath the car as the technician pointed out one particular u-joint that felt pretty stuck - it didn't move freely one way, but it was fine the other way. The carrier bearing did look pretty spent, given the vertical movement of the driveshaft, but i'm not sure about that.

2. Oct 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    mixaro

mixaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    maine
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma ext cab, 2011 trail edition 4 runner, 2013 tx baja dcsb
    02 ext cab cat-back exhaust, k&n replacement filter, 5100 billy's, hellcreek 1.5" rear spring packs, 882 OME coils, Toytec 2" AAl, stainless brake lines, Light Racing UCA, 1" diff drop, BPV bracket, 4" deck plate mod, 886 fog light backup light mod, tom woods one piece drive shaft, spider trax 1.25 spacer.
    i'd just go with a tom woods one piece drive shaft, thats what i did and it cost about $400, and that solved all my problems

3. Oct 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    Backinblack03

Backinblack03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Xtra cab 4x4 2.7/5spd
    ABS sucks.
    I've liked RockAuto.com for a few years now. You can search around the net for monthly discount codes unless you already get them emailed to you...

4. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    If the driveshaft truly does need repair (tube bent etc.) then your best bet is to take the assembly to a local drive shaft shop. You can have them repair yours or build you new pieces. Most likely, just from what you are saying is wrong with it, they can repair yours and it will be much cheaper than the dealer.

Let your fingers do the walking and call around some of the local places and see what they say/quote. When you pick the truck up from the dealer I'd also get a detailed note of exactly what they say is wrong with it, parts it needs and why, so you have something to go off of when getting the work done.

Cheers

5. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    I just got a quote of $745 from these folks to replace the entire shaft from tranny to diff, including new center support bearing:

http://www.driveshaftpro.com/gardengrove

By "carrier bearing" do you mean center support bearing?

6. Oct 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    I too recommend the tom woods 1-piece drive shaft.

7. Oct 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    mixaro

mixaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    maine
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma ext cab, 2011 trail edition 4 runner, 2013 tx baja dcsb
    02 ext cab cat-back exhaust, k&n replacement filter, 5100 billy's, hellcreek 1.5" rear spring packs, 882 OME coils, Toytec 2" AAl, stainless brake lines, Light Racing UCA, 1" diff drop, BPV bracket, 4" deck plate mod, 886 fog light backup light mod, tom woods one piece drive shaft, spider trax 1.25 spacer.
    oh i just noticed you have prerunner, that would be one hell of a long one piece drive shaft, i do know that they make the two piece ones for our trucks to and i think it's cheaper then $745

8. Oct 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    are you handy? just buy some new ujoints and a new center carrier. should be under 200 bucks

9. Oct 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    A driveline shop or a normal independent shop should be able to change the universal joints and carrier bearing for a lot less than that. As the other poster said, probably a couple hundred in parts, plus a few hours labor.

Dealer is screwing you over cuz they don't feel like pressing the ujoints off your existing shaft.

10. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    I keep seeing the word "carrier" in relation to the driveshaft's center support bearing. As far as I've ever known, the carrier bearings are located inside the differential, no? This is getting confusing.

11. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    This is the route I would go unless you have a bent drive shaft. U-joints can be a PITA but might be worth some choice 4 letter words to save $1,000. Another option, look into places like LKQ or other local salvage yards. You might be able to find a complete drive line from another Tacoma in good shape and just swap the driveline from flange to flange.

I've heard them called both and seen them advertised as both. :notsure:

I believe 'carrier bearing' defines a function meaning it's a bearing that carries weight of some sort. At least that's how I see it in my head. Either way, no one should confuse the center support bearing with an axle carrier bearing...

Products Discussed in

To Top