1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel cocked to the right - is that the alignment?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by defleppardsg, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    defleppardsg

defleppardsg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    texas
    Vehicle:
    2.7L SR5 4x4
    OME 880's, Wheeler's Offroad 5-Leaf pack. Bilstein 5100's, 1" Daystar shackles, Deck Plate Mod.
    I've had my truck aligned twice in the last 6 months and I notice that my steering wheel still cocks slightly to the right when I'm going straight. If I let go of the wheel, the truck does not pull to one direction or the other.. but the steering wheel will be slightly turned to right. If I turn it perfectly straight, the truck will veer slightly left.

Is this an alignment issue or is something wrong? (I noticed this before I got my frame replaced, I kind assumed that if something was wrong with the steering components, or the alignment, that it would have been corrected by the dealer during the replacement, but it's still the same...)

2. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
    Yes they need to put it back on the alignment maching and straighten the wheel.

3. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:38 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yes, get it aligned again. Tell them that when the wheel is straight the truck veers left.

4. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    It is the alignment. It doesn't mean that your tires will wear necessarily, but only that the steering wheel was not perfectly straight when they set the toe.

5. Oct 4, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    defleppardsg

defleppardsg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    texas
    Vehicle:
    2.7L SR5 4x4
    OME 880's, Wheeler's Offroad 5-Leaf pack. Bilstein 5100's, 1" Daystar shackles, Deck Plate Mod.
    OK thanks, i dont how alignments are done so I wasn't sure if they just didn't set the steering wheel straight when it was done. thanks.

6. Oct 4, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    CUtacomaTIGER

CUtacomaTIGER Unprofessional Driver

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '01 4X4 SR5 Chrome Stepside
    Black Wheels Tow Hitch w/4 Pin Weathertech Floor Mats Flowmaster Deck Plate Mod Window Tint Rear Diff Breather Mod Blacked out Badges Window Rain Guards Bed Liner
    very likely alignment but may also be 1 of 2 other things perhaps

1) the steering column in these 1st gens is known to wear down (or something minor breaks i can't remember) and thus the steering wheel has some play in it

2) your steering rack bushings may be shot and your steering wheel may also favor one direction or the other

Products Discussed in

To Top