Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Steering wheel cocked to the right - is that the alignment?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
defleppardsg is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
defleppardsg's Tacoma Gallery
Steering wheel cocked to the right - is that the alignment?

I've had my truck aligned twice in the last 6 months and I notice that my steering wheel still cocks slightly to the right when I'm going straight. If I let go of the wheel, the truck does not pull to one direction or the other.. but the steering wheel will be slightly turned to right. If I turn it perfectly straight, the truck will veer slightly left.

Is this an alignment issue or is something wrong? (I noticed this before I got my frame replaced, I kind assumed that if something was wrong with the steering components, or the alignment, that it would have been corrected by the dealer during the replacement, but it's still the same...)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Yes they need to put it back on the alignment maching and straighten the wheel.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, get it aligned again. Tell them that when the wheel is straight the truck veers left.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
It is the alignment. It doesn't mean that your tires will wear necessarily, but only that the steering wheel was not perfectly straight when they set the toe.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
defleppardsg is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
defleppardsg's Tacoma Gallery
OK thanks, i dont how alignments are done so I wasn't sure if they just didn't set the steering wheel straight when it was done. thanks.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Unprofessional Driver
CUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shedCUtacomaTIGER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CUtacomaTIGER's Tacoma Gallery
very likely alignment but may also be 1 of 2 other things perhaps

1) the steering column in these 1st gens is known to wear down (or something minor breaks i can't remember) and thus the steering wheel has some play in it

2) your steering rack bushings may be shot and your steering wheel may also favor one direction or the other