1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

can someone explain coilpacks/wires on an 01' - ever need to be replaced?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beedoola, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Oct 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    beedoola

beedoola [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    since the 01's don't use regular spark plug wires but those coil packs/harnesses - are the harnesses supposed to be replaced at some point? Packs as well or just the harnesses, or should neither need to be replaced?

2. Oct 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    The wires should be replaced every 60k I believe. I think some people do it every 30k. I just replaced my wires a couple weeks ago because I just passed 65,000 miles. I didn't bother with the coil packs, but I think I'll replace those at 90k when I do my timing belt and water pump.

Edit: Please correct me if I'm wrong. Those are numbers I thought I read when I was researching changing plugs and wires earlier in the summer. I may have mixed them up, I'm not sure.

3. Oct 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    90k is a good number. On my '99 Mazda, the coils started failing at around 100k, resulting in misfires.

4. Oct 4, 2012 at 9:50 PM
    beedoola

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    so both the coil packs and the harnesses are to be replaced?

I forgot to mention; this is a 2.7

5. Oct 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    I would never replace a perfectly functioning coil. They often last the life of the car.

6. Oct 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    Ive been thinking about doing this myself.
    sub

7. Oct 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    WRONG!

as the former owner of a 2000 mustang gt, and a 97 as they called it 'lite-duty' F-250 with the 5.4, time, weather and miles takes its toll on the coils.
    after 100,000 miles, Thats alot of sparking! they start to lose their efficiency, it will effect performance and mileage, but its gradual.
    But when they fail, they fail, and don't be far from home.
    on my stang, now i keeped that car well tuned, but i think it was MDS came out with high performance replacement coils for the 4.6, I think this was in 2006, but it was about 450.00 for 8, but I could not believe in the difference. the idle was silk smooth,again,and she had more snap going to the redline,(that does not help with mileage)
    spending your entire life under the hood of a car or truck is not conducive for aging well, and its not the wear on the outside, its core of the coils that wears out.

8. Oct 5, 2012 at 5:12 AM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    Your post offers no reason why my post is WRONG. Just because your FORD coils crapped out early does not mean that the coils in these trucks do not "often last the life of the vehicle" as I stated. My truck has 157K on the ticker and runs perfectly with original coils. I have not seen a rash of coil related posts here, leading me to believe that replacing them as some form of routine maintenance is a waste of money. The alternator will give out at some point, too, and probably somewhere inconvenient. But I'm not throwing $300 at the truck for a new one until it does!

9. Oct 5, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    x2

There was 170k on my 2.7 and I never replaced a coil (was bought back for frame rust) and there is currently 160k on my 05 4.7 and I have never replaced a pack.

10. Oct 5, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    I guess we can say ford makes inferior coils :D

11. Oct 5, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    yes I do believe ford had lets say "quality problems" with the coils they used.

As for the other commits things do wear out, there is very little that man can make that is going to last forever.
    My point is that the coils do wear out over time. Some people are happy waiting for things to fail or break before doing maintenance.

12. Oct 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    yeah i have had a few alt. go out on me over the years, thats no big deal they work until they die. they dont thow the spark to keep the motor running, and when one fails your truck is going to run funny, if at all.
    and with a stick all you do is pop the clutch.

13. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry but this is not a valid argument. Ford is notorious for their shitty coil packs and ignition modules, on the other hand Toyota's electronics are the exact opposite.

Going around telling someone to replace a perfectly working part is not good advice. EVERY single part under the hood is going to be subjected to the same heat and temperature changes of the coils. If that's the case, we should just start randomly replacing anything under the hood. Might as well replace the alternator, hell let's just replace the whole engine with your advice.

:rolleyes:

14. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I have brand new coils and wires that I keep in my tool box along with some tie rods, studs, etc... I take these for long trips, offroading, etc... but I havent replaced coils/wires for going on 120k miles and the truck runs just fine.

15. Oct 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    well just go buy a new car every day. I never said a damn thing like that.
    I don't care if you ever change your underwear, the op asked for some advise and since he seems to be having some problems with his truck i was just trying to give him some honest advise from my experiences. and another quack posted that you NEVER change then BUT sometimes you do, and at least if he can take them out and inspect them and they do not cost a arm and a leg ( like having to take it to a dealer) it could point him in the right direction, I believe in another thread his truck is not running, so pardon me please for just trying to help.
    I do believe that this is what the website is for and and not this.
    have a nice day.

16. Oct 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    beedoola

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    ^^ Thanks. Didn't know the question would prompt such responses :)

I've since got my taco up and running, and running good.

I was asking cause I was confused about the coil packs and wiring harness.

Is the wiring harness pricey? Seems like the harness also contains the connectors for the IAC and TS and other stuff - like they're all woven together...

17. Oct 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    Can't we all just get along?
    [​IMG]

18. Oct 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    Now just so every one will know, I am writing this under the assumption that you have the 3.4 v6.
    yes its a two piece set, at least that is what i have checked on at rockauto.
    I would use the denso, one box is the 3 coils, the other box is the wires and I believe its the drivers side, plug boots.
    I have changed the wires one my truck and monday I am orderings new coils, since winter is coming, and I have my first emissions test in nov. amd I want her in tip top shape.
    the coils are one the passenger side.
    2 tips. if you replace the wires, take out the new ones and lay them out one by one, and replace front to back and match up the wire size as you go. and that way its easier to put it back as close as possible the way it came from the factory.
    get a packet or two of the plug grease, and cove the wire boots and the coil boots with it to help protect them from drying out and from moisture, (even tho some think they will last forever)

the v6 runs on the toyota slave system. one coil fires two cylinders, it was new to me too. now with this I am just talking about the ignition, when you say "wiring harness" that would cover the electoral under the hood, battery, alt. starter, .=ect.

those parts are not too $$$ for how long they last. wire set is about 60 or so and the coils are like 80 each, and only 3.
    and if you can, order from ebay or rockauto part stores and dealers just bend you over one this stuff.
    I know they have to make money, but let them make it off someone else!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    Grousehunter 12

Grousehunter 12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Central Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Off Road
    Tundra brakes on front
    I just bought the factory wire set from Camelback for $56, also got the factory fuel filter for $27 to push the total over $60 to obtain the free shipping. You can't buy the coil boots from a dealership, those I purchased from Amazon.com for $29 for the Denso as that is the brand of the factory coils.This winter when water pump,timing belt,hoses,idler,tensioner,thermostat and all belts are replaced all (3) coils will be also. OVERKILL? Maybe! I hate being broke down with my bird dog or boat.

20. Oct 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    beedoola

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    no, I have a 2.7

Products Discussed in

To Top