1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Too many miles?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by madhatter45, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oct 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    madhatter45

madhatter45 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I've read the buyers guide, and think I have a line on a pretty decent '96 4x4 3'4 5 speed. No rust, clean and straight, new clutch about a year ago, and new head gaskets, timing belt, and water pump 20k miles ago. It looks like its been well maintained, but no records as the owner is a fabricator and mechanic who does his own work.
    My concern is that it has 240k miles on it, mostly highway commuting miles.While its a lot of miles, it is a toyota.... Should I run from this deal, or am I being overly concerned?
    The truck is stock, and I'll be using it primarily as a hunting rig and maybe some light to moderate wheeling in the Uwharrie....
    What say the experts here?

2. Oct 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    FoundOffRoadDead

FoundOffRoadDead whiptastic handling

Member:
    First Name:
    Shamus
    Walnut
    Vehicle:
    Ford
    My truck has on it right now 360,000 miles on it still run's like a champ. If it's been well kept up i don't see why not. Just Treat like you would treat all the other thing's you own take care of it! And it will last for ever!

3. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    It's prob. good to go for quite awhile as he sounds like he at least took care of things that needed replacing and it prob. is lots of hwy. Use it as a bargaining chip as I wouldn't buy over 200K unless it was awfully cheap. Like 2000 cheap.

4. Oct 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    well it depends on price, but IF it has been taken care of she should still have many good days in front of her.
    if you don't know things to look for and what to look for, man take it to someone you can trust to have a look at the truck. even if it cost 100 dollars that could save you from making a non refundable mistake,
    just remember Barney Fife, you don't want to find sawdust in the transmission, or rear end.

5. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    austinramsay

austinramsay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Yuma, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD Doublecab
    How much is he asking for it? I paid $4850 for my 96 xtra cab v6 5speed with 154k miles.

6. Oct 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If it is owned by someone who does their own work and you trust their abilities and judgement.... it's just broken in.

I had a '94 that I did NOT take care of.
    Oil changes at Iffy Lube... every 10k if the truck was lucky, too often I'd just wait until I saw the oil pressure gauge drop when cornering.

What did I do to that truck between '94 and 2003?
    Warped exhaust manifold replaced at about 80k.
    New clutch at 180k.

That's it.

She was a little down on power when I traded her on my '03 Tundra, and there was some nasty sludge in the oil cap. I suspect a stretched timing chain.
    Never did replace the rear brakes.

Traded her with 225k.

7. Oct 7, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    madhatter45

madhatter45 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for the input guys! While.I don't personaly know the current owner, I'm inclined to trust his work. He has a. 85 4runner crawler that he built thats in the insane side of wild.
    As far as what he's asking for this truck, its tough to say as we're working a trade for a series 3 diesle landrover that i have- thats a project truck. Direct value is difficult to figure

8. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    It IS difficult to determine. When I see all those "just broken in" comments I wonder if they have done a compression and leakdown test. I've seen a lot of Toyos w/ broken rings @ or in the 200-300K range. Even with proper care, piston slap comes into play and if you put a good load on her.......
    Now I will admit I've never seen a broken piston or rings on a vehicle that used synthetic it's entire life. Maybe just law of averages that not many do that. They start off using it for 100K then sell it to someone who goes back to dino etc, etc. I know my truck has had regular changes it's entire life (@165K) now but is starting to drop compression (some). I had a Dakota that went to 300K+ but you could turn it over by hand on the crank pulley and the cam bearings were making a racket.

Products Discussed in

To Top