1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Excessive Catalytic Converter failure

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by elliottblood, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Oct 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    elliottblood

elliottblood [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6
    I have a 2001 Tacoma 4-door V6. I have burnt through 3 cats in about 3 years. I was told by multiple technicians that they should last the life of the vehicle. It all started when I had my back cat stolen (I HATE tweakers!!!). I've also been through a couple of O2 sensors. I have a 148,000 miles and I've been told my truck is just getting broken in. If that's the case, I'm quite naturally wondering what in the world is going on. I've told all the technicians that have worked on it to get to the ROOT of the problem. They haven't, so now I'm taking into my own hands. I am pretty good about regular maintenance, though admittedly I've got nearly 50,000 miles since my last timing belt and water pump change; I figured I'd replace the water pump when I change the timing belt since it will be exposed. I'm pretty sure the timing belt doesn't have much or anything to do with the cats going bad. If anyone can help me out in this area, it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

2. Oct 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Do you make it a habit of running out of gas, or is your engine running lean?
    I'm not kidding... running out of gas on an EFI vehicle causes elevated cylinder temperatures as it leans out before it dies and this can damage the cat.

3. Oct 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    How do you know exactly that you are killing them?

4. Oct 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    turbo325ii

turbo325ii Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Provo
    Vehicle:
    06' Double Cab TRD off road
    none
    What gas do u run? Crap gas kills cats.

5. Oct 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    elliottblood

elliottblood [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6
    Thank all of you for responding so quickly! I run 87 octane, but Chevron only. I know it's the cat(s) or O2 sensor, because my check engine light is on. All three of the last times it came on and I took it in, those were the error codes that came up. I used to run premium only from Chevron, but it didn't make a difference. I've been told by people I trust that having to run premium gas is a myth; that modern vehicles generally run efficiently enough and are designed to run fine on regular fuel. Albeit, these people I trust were not entirely Toyota enthusiasts, so I'm certainly open to the suggestion and the relatively small difference in price between premium and regular fuels isn't THAT big of a deal to me. It smells like it's running a bit rich, actually. I am admittedly ASSUMING that's why my check engine light is on, and we all know what assuming does. However, given that that was the reason the last three times, I figure it's a qualitative assumption. While on that topic as well, I've been considering purchasing an OBD-II module. I found one online from GHI electronics for about $60. It's costed me around $100 just to have them diagnose it each time, so I'm STRONGLY considering the purchase of my own module. Any suggestions? Again, thank you ALL, VERY MUCH!!!

6. Oct 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    elliottblood

elliottblood [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6
    Oh yeah, and I've NEVER ran out of gas. I usually fuel up before my gas light comes on. I didn't think that was a joke. Like I said I'm open to ANY suggestions. Thanks again!

7. Oct 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First and foremost, as you already mentioned you should never assume anything when it comes to CEL and these trucks.

Second you need to get yourself a OBII handheld scanner so you'll know with a 95-98% accuracy what is causing the code, how to fix it, and how to reset it. I bought this one from Advanced Auto Parts for $70 and it's already payed for itself 10x over in the amount I saved by diagnosing and ultimately fixing the problem myself.

[​IMG]

So unless you give us a code to go by, we can sit around and throw up ideas all day long. At least help us help you by narrowing it down, us Tacoma owners are pretty crafty when it comes to CELs.

8. Oct 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Taco cats should last at least 130k. You getting p0420? Oem cats will also last way longer than aftermarket

9. Oct 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    I just got that code but the light went off on its own :notsure:

10. Oct 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Know exactly what codes you have would help us to help you.

What replacement CAt did you use each time?

11. Oct 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    pippen

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    I run every type of gas and have ran out of gas 3 times and I've ran my truck several times to the BARE minimum, I replaced my O2 sensor at 90k. O2 sensor will give 2 codes sometimes, keep this in mind!! I'm still on my original cat too. Bring some codes back so we can look them up for you!!

12. Oct 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    turbo325ii

turbo325ii Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Provo
    Vehicle:
    06' Double Cab TRD off road
    none
    Sorry I should have been more specific.

-Your cat could be melted. hc: hydrocarbons (raw gas) these will melt the cat, and are usually caused from some form of misfire.
    -your cat could be coated with some chemical ie: oil or other chemicals found in cheaper quality gasolines or additives such as sulphur Maganese,MMT. If this is the case there are actually ways to "burn off" the coating, such as giving the car a dead miss to get the cat hot enough to burn off the coating. (Toyota reccomended procedure)

-You could have coolant entering your combustion chamber. Thats Silicone.

-you could be burning oil in the engine and based on your mileage its definitely not a stretch. Having said that, your engine might be just as efficient as it was 100k miles ago...
    -your cat could be broken, less likely if you keep having repeat failures.

And yes bring us your dtc's

13. Oct 8, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Ricky B

Ricky B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    I get the PO420 Code a lot and just use the OBD unit to turn it off. I have looked into buying a plug that will trick that back sensor to read correct and not ever get the code but I have yet to do this. Rick

14. Oct 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    elliottblood

elliottblood [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6
    Wow! You all are amazingly helpful; wish I would've joined a while ago. And, thank you Yamaha Dave! I will be getting one of those handhelds within the week. The last time I had it diagnosed it WAS P0420. I will post when I have a code for you all to work with. Thank you all...a MILLION!!!

15. Oct 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Rick, there's a cheaper alternative that might be worth a try. It's called the "Spark Plug Defouler" Mod. It might be worth the couple dollars to try before you shell out a couple bones on an O2 simulator.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...sy-methods-try-get-rid-p0420.html#post5124838

16. Oct 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    Ricky B

Ricky B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    Yes I remember that little trick. I may try that now that you have brought it to my attention.

17. Oct 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    ak47dennis

ak47dennis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dennis
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Maybe you mentioned above, what brand parts are you using? Some aftermarket parts just are not as good, can't tell you how many aftermarket 02 sensors I have replaced in 0-2 years when the originals lasted 5 +.

Also I know it's prolly not possible but leaded full with wreck a cat & 02's quick.

18. Oct 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    Streetsurfz727

Streetsurfz727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    you can rig your o2 sensors up to be tricked into thinking your cats working properly, cost about $10 and a hour or two of labor.

19. Oct 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    elliottblood

elliottblood [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6
    Alright. So, I bought an OBD-II handheld and the P0420 popped up as I thought it would. The cats that were replaced were aftermarket. The handheld read P0420 "catalytic converter inefficient (bank 1)". Should I replace the cat with a Toyota certified OEM converter? Also, I bought new NGK iridium plugs that I plan to install this coming weekend. Is it correct that the torque specs are 18-21 ft/lbs. It's been a couple of years since I've had my injectors cleaned, so I figured I'd do that as well. Any recommendations as to how to do that properly (by myself). My line of reasoning is that if it is running too lean, maybe there's an issue with my fuel delivery. However, as I said in my earlier post it smells a bit rich at the tail pipe. Thanks for all of the input; I cannot even begin to express how appreciated it is!! I love my truck, and want it to last as long as possible.

20. Oct 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    pippen

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    I think most people will recommend DENSO plugs, you can search around though and see. I think I have heard of some using some type of NGK plugs with no problems.

Products Discussed in

To Top