1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Inner Tie Rod

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Old Soul 76, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Oct 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    Old Soul 76

Old Soul 76 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma TRD SR5 3.4L V6
    Rotated my tires today, because I noticed significant cupping on the front BFGs. While in the air, I was able to wiggle the front left tire side-to-side and noticed there was some play on the Inner Tie Rod. Is this something that can be adjusted (tightened) or do I need to have the whole tie rod replaced and front end aligned like my local tire shop says?

They quoted me at $320 total...

('99 - 6 lug - TRD - 33X10.50 15)

2. Oct 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Bad ball joints on the Tie Rod ends. If the wheel wiggles side to side, when in the air.

3. Oct 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    are u handy with some basic tools? its not too hard. please google tiie rod toyota tacoma and there are lots of postings on just how to do it. and videos also.

how many miles on your truck?
    I have the same project lined up for my truck.
    depending on miles those parts wear out together...in one was it will save you some serious time and getting the aligned by doing the inner and outer and lower ball joints at the same time. then it just needs one alignment, and you can bang the old ball joint off and not worry about it.
    as for the parts, here come the fire....
    i like the raybestos professional line.
    if you can afford it do not put and basic auto parts store on, it will not last.
    they are making some bread on the price, its steep to me.

4. Oct 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    tie rod end on these trucks are easily replaced but do require a front end alignment.

5. Oct 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    Old Soul 76

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate the responses, so keep em comin please!

Here is the scoop... I recently moved to KC without my tools and no garage. I am typically a DIY'er but it's been difficult lately.

I brought my truck to a Goodyear tire + service, they treated me like I was an idiot, blah blah blah. I never let the truck out of my sight, and even had them bring me under the lift to show me what they thought. three of them came up with three different answers, guy 1 says "outer tie rod," guy 2 says "nah, inner tie rod," guy 3 (the big shot of the garage) says "nah, its the rack! looket there, its leakin from the boot!"

I did not notice the boot was wet at first, that is why I immediately thought tie rod.
    now, I will admit I don't know much about steering, tie rods, etc... I know the basics.

they quoted me at $850 to replace the steering rack, alignment and labor...

I know it is tough to say for sure without seeing it in person, but could my problem actually be that the steering rack needs replacing?

help please!

6. Oct 8, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    Old Soul 76

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    OR am I leaking power steering fluid from the rack AND I have a bad tie rod?

I hate getting ripped off, thats why I want to get to the bottom of this... so I know who to take it to.

7. Oct 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    any way you could take a few pictures of the rack and said tie rod end? also take the boot off a pair of plies can squeeze the clamp on the outter end and slide it down then use channel locks and the inside clamp can be taken apart and put back together.

8. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    Old Soul 76

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Here are some pictures... not sure if they'll help.

IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg

9. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    Old Soul 76

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
  10. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    well it sort of sound like they want to run up a big bill, I believe, and I could be wrong, but the whole rack assembly also has both tie rods.
    you don't have to explain about tight money, but for the rack to be replaced is extreme, like its leaking, power steering fluid badly, or you can turn the wheel and the tires dont turn....
    try to get a few picks, and how many miles on truck?
    and its simple to replace.

11. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    I think you just need tie rods and ball joints, and you have to pull them off and they don't cost alost, new boots.

12. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    well I have alittle of his problem, and she drips some fluid, but in 2 weeks i am doing tie rods and the ball joints, they look far worse than yours, mine came from a ranch....
    but I would think doing this could get you by for quite some time without worrying about the rack.
    the bushing help also.

13. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    Old Soul 76

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    yeah... I don't think the whole rack is bad (there is not a scary amount of side-to-side play, and it doesn't leak too terribly I only top it off once every 2 years maybe... the wheels turn just fine on the pavement)... are the seals/ bushings easily replaced?

This is all on the front driver side.

246,050 miles - pretty much everything is original, right down to the exhaust.

From what I've learned, I can expect to replace: Inner/Outer tie rod, ball joints, bushings/seals, boot.

14. Oct 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    I have read, here and other forums, that toyota sell a seal kit, but that is one job I will pass to more experience an steadier hands.

15. Oct 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    If it is the whole rack is bad, they aren't expensive to replace (better and less of an aggravation trying to fix it yourself)... But my money is it's just the ball joints are going bad with how many miles are on your truck.

16. Oct 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    Hey, I remembered I had saved this for the dreaded day I have to screw with my steering rack.
    lots of good pic, and it will give you a look and taking off the tie rods, ect.
    I meant to write that in the pics your lower ball joint seem to be shot,(like mine) and if its all org. then someone really got their money's worth out of them. if you can with the miles on the truck, and if it appears that nothing has been changed, really check over the inner and outer tie rod ends, while necessary to always in pairs, usually these days with the state of our roads, one good pot hole will take em out before the naturally wear out. since they wear out in unison its usually best to get them all at the same time, because the new parts would shift even more stress on the worn out parts.

17. Oct 9, 2012 at 1:05 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    If your fronts are equally sloppy, meaning if they're sloppy in the same manner at the same time I'd say the rack is suspect, if they're sloppy back & forth in their own right, ball joints for sure...

Oh, & you have a leak...:)

18. Oct 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    here is another write-up

19. Oct 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Old Soul 76

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Welp, they replaced the whole steering rack assembly... I brought the truck to a small garage, let them have it for the day and see what they say. They called me mid morning with bad news... I told them go for it... When I picked it up at the end of the day they explained everything very clearly. Basically just about all of the inner bushings/bearings/seals were wore out from old age and 246,000 miles. It wasn't the tie rods or their ball joints that were loose, it was the actual gear shaft in the rack...
    Ever since I bought the truck, there was a VERY slow loss of power steering fluid (I had to fill it up every year or two). They also said the one of the bushings holding the rack in place wasn't holding very tight...

They kept the original inner & outer tie rods on both sides and replaced: rack&pinion, steering gear mounting bushing and finally an alignment... The bill was a little over $700.

now, the truck drives straight as an arrow and is tighter than it has ever been (HUGE improvement)

36-12373.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top