1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help-truck won't start, security system maybe?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mmiller2002, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Oct 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd
    My 2004 double cab sat for a few weeks and the battery died. When i installed the replacement, I noticed that the dash lights and blinkers flashed about 20 times then stopped even before I put the key in the ignition. It will also do this if I try to start it or unlock the doors.

When I try to start, it's totally dead. No turn over, no clicking, just the 20x flashing of the dash and blinker lights.

I got it used about 9 months ago and it had a simple aftermarket Bulldog (JBS Technologies) keyless entry/security system, but no remote or manual. I called Bulldog and they gave me a remote model number i could try (it worked), but didn't know what model number for the system. Also, I removed the siren when I first got the truck in case it went off since I didn;t know how to operate the system.

So, does this sound like the security system has disabled my ignition?
    If so, how to reset? I removed the security module, but that didn't help me get it started.

2. Oct 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    Not saying this will fix your problem, but my old F150 had a similar issue.

What ended up happening is I would have to turn the ignition to ON then plug in the battery for it to reset the security system.

Maybe ask that security company again?

Good luck

panchotaco likes this.
  3. Oct 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    It sounds like it, the only thing i can tell you is to look under on the driver side, on each side where your feet are, and see if you can find a little toggle switch. mine is small, steel, and does not look like something toyota would use, and thats the kill switch. you have to get in and when you turn the ignition switch, you flip it.
    same sort of thing happened to me, one month after i got my truck, i knew i was going to need a battery and the one short period of cold we had last winter killed the battery so i walked to advance and got a new one, and it just f$&#&d my whole day up trying to figure out what was going on, I had never dealt with a after market alarm before. ( funny mine came from a ranch out in west texas, and the next day the org owner emailed me back about it and said the theft rate, they had to ....

4. Oct 20, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd

Thanks for the advice, guys, that worked! I love the good side of the internet!!

5. Feb 2, 2015 at 3:12 PM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd
    Ugh, I get to try this out again! I found my own post when I Googled :)

6. Feb 2, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    on my nieces Malibu you leave the key in the on position for like 10 minutes until the yellow security light goes out then the alarm rests itself to your key.

I think there is some variant of this security reset with most cars but we explained ford and chevy so see if anything close to what we did works for Toyota

first thing I would do is just leave the key on for ten minutes and see what happens after that.

7. Feb 3, 2015 at 5:44 AM
    mmiller2002

mmiller2002 [OP] Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 2wd
    It worked :) Thanks again LBtaco!!

8. Feb 3, 2015 at 8:56 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    that's great, now you know the way to do it.

just a FYI, if it ever happens again it might be the key fobs doing it. they had an unannounced recall on the key fobs going bad and had to replace the ones my niece had.

they said that certain brand key fobs from 2000-2004 (not car brand but electronic circuit maker brands) had issues of "losing" recognition with the car so it thinks you have the wrong key and goes into lockout mode and nothing works. for here they just got new new key fobs and programmed em for her car, took about an hour total after they ordered and got the new fobs in.

none of this may apply to you but they told her the problem affects other car brands of those years too.

9. Mar 22, 2017 at 8:44 AM
    FrayHavoc

FrayHavoc Member

Member:
    Jax
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4x4 Manual
    I'm having the same problem as the original poster of this thread. I have a key fob with the letters SPAV that I cannot find anything about on the internet but it's required to be near the ignition for it to start.

Is there a way to bypass this stupid security system?

10. Jul 26, 2021 at 6:17 AM
    panchotaco

panchotaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2012 4cyl
    Thanks so much for sharing this! I did the reset sequence but also had to push the unlock button on my fob. My truck alarm reset and it started right up!

Products Discussed in

To Top