1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco has hard time starting up (sometimes)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jameswouldntgo, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Oct 18, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    jameswouldntgo

jameswouldntgo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5
    Hello all,

I have a 2000 Tacoma w/ a 3rz motor and recently been having some problems with my truck starting up. When I press in the clutch and turn the key I can hear a really soft humming noise (like a phone vibrating) when I crank the key. My deck and gauge cluster lights turn on so I believe its not the battery but, I did recently install a deck/door speakers (had none inside b4) and a amplifier/sub so maybe I could be overloading the battery? It could just be the starter but, I am not fully sure. My truck eventually starts up but, I just have to keep repeating (press in clutch, turn key). When driving the truck runs fine its just the starting up that's causing troubles. Anyone knows what seems to be the problem?

-Thanks

2. Oct 19, 2012 at 4:49 AM
    joyotaco

joyotaco Tenderfoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4L 2wd
    Removable ladder/sailboat rack, Pioneer DEH-6400BT, clear bumper signals
    Has it been getting a little colder lately where you are? Even if it isn't getting colder, does it only happen when you start the truck cold? Could be a similar problem that happened to Hektor. His truck was makin' a click sound when he tried to start it though, not a humming sound. If the problem's only happening when you try to start it cold, it's likely the same problem.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/242561-hard-start-when-engine-cold.html

Replacing the starter solenoid contacts fixed his problem. It's been a pretty common problem from normal wear and tear on Toyota pickups since the hilux. It's pretty simple to fix, $10-20 for the starter contact rebuild kit and an afternoon. (If you work as slow as I do. A lot guys can get it done inside an hour, easy.)

Also, even if the battery's mostly drained, those dash lights can still come on because the LEDs and they're controllers require little power to light up. The starter motor uses lotsa juice. But if it eventually does start up after a few tries and it doesn't sound inhibited or sluggish when it finally does crank over, it's probably not the battery.

3. Oct 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    jameswouldntgo

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5
    Nope over here is warm very humid around 70°F-80°F. I just cold started it today and it started up first try (very weird). Yesterday though it had a little trouble starting it up cold but even worse when I took it to school. It was only sitting for like 50 minutes and took me a ton of tries to get it started. When I turn the key I can't even hear the starter cranking just that soft humming noise haha.

My bro told me to try check my starter line but, he is not to sure either because he never seen it happen in person. I found a pretty good starter repair removal and installation write up that I could possibly follow if its the starter. I appreciate the help!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...clicking-starter-2-7-liter-3rz-fe-engine.html

4. Oct 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    First make sure your battery cables are tight and not too corroded. Wiggle them, and if they move, tighten them up. You can clean them with water, baking soda and an old toothbrush.

Have your battery and alternator tested to eliminate those as possible issues.

If everything looks OK there, you most likely have a starter solenoid issue. You can replace just the solenoid, but I usually opt for replacing the starter and solenoid just so everything is in new/reconditioned shape.

5. Oct 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    Timicha

Timicha Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    My old truck with the 3rz would do this during the summer when it was hot, it always started when the truck was cold but after it warmed up and was shut off if I tried to start it again it would just crank over and over. I ended up replacing the starter and that didn't help, I replaced the fuel pump and that didn't help either, I never found out what the problem was. A buddy of mine had the 3rz with the same problem and we still don't know what causes it so if you figure it out I'd love to know

6. Oct 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    jameswouldntgo

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5
    For the past couple days its been started up fine but, just today when leaving school (reversing out of parking, putting it into 1st gear then DIED OUT :annoyed: and it didn't want to start). I parked right by the schools on campus intersection so I was blocking the road and guys had to go around me. I was trying to start it and I thought that this time I won't get lucky. So I tried to pound on the starter, that didn't work. Then I popped the hood look at the battery terminals MY POSITIVE TERMINAL WAS LOOSE:facepalm:(though my deck still turned on), so I just touch tickle and wiggled it and jumped right back in turn the key and it started up :bananadance:! So I believe the problem was only the loose positive terminal. So when I got home I tighten and secure the positive terminal and hopefully that was the problem. Thanks for the help and inputs guys!

7. Oct 24, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    joyotaco

joyotaco Tenderfoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4L 2wd
    Removable ladder/sailboat rack, Pioneer DEH-6400BT, clear bumper signals
    [​IMG]

Glad you got it figured out, man!

8. Oct 24, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Awesome, glad that was it -- that was the cheapest fix for sure!

9. Feb 16, 2015 at 12:06 PM
    firemedictaylor

firemedictaylor Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner 2.7L
    Any word on this problem man? I have the same exact issue going on with warm start and cannot figure it out...neither can anyone else from what I hear.

Products Discussed in

To Top