1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying my first Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Formed, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Oct 19, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    Formed

Formed [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey everyone I am brand new to the site and Tacomas but not Toyota. My current Toyota is a 1993 Mr2 Jdm motor, I am in the process of building a 5sgte with gt35 ball bearing turbo aiming for around 600whp give or take a few.

I have never owned a Tacoma before, I drive two work tacomas 1995 one has 250k on the clock and the other 410k.

After searching for trucks I am dead set on getting a Tacoma, I live in Colorado and would like a 4x4 for the winter and mountains. I've checked out a couple but the one that I want the most is also the one that concerns me. 2000, 5vzfe, Manual trans, 154k miles on it, 3-4" suspension lift, and has a trd supercharger on it, all for the price of $7900. However it does need some work, needs new tires(almost completely bald), shocks(the ones on it are completely shot), and some good cleaning of the interior is in order. The car was purchased by the dealer at a repo auction.

While I know toyota's will go half a million miles easily the key thing is maintinace. Obviously someone loved it enough to put the lift on it, and supercharge it(I didnt see a 7th injector anywhere, could have missed it though). I'm worried that someone purchased it and they ran it into the ground and never properly maintaned it and it got repod, since they neglected to even have decent tires and shocks on it.

If anyone has any input or advice for me that would be awesome

2. Oct 20, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    I'd maybe see if I can talk them down a tiny bit. Otherwise it doesn't sound in too bad condition (as long as everything not mentioned is in good condition). Mileage isn't bad, 3.4L, newish year, comes with a lift already, and a super charger! I think it's a fairly good price since that's on there. They run about 3k new.

I can see why you're nervous though. I'd test drive it for sure and check everything over really well.

3. Oct 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    Welcome to the forum...enjoy

Tacoma's are simply the best trucks on the planet. I don't know what else to say....

4. Oct 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Welcome! I hope you find the right truck at the right time!

Products Discussed in

To Top