Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch adjustment and high idle

Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
madhatter45 is on a distinguished road
madhatter45's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch adjustment and high idle

I have 2 issues with my new to me '96 Tacoma.

The first is the clutch. The friction point is just a few milimeters off the floor. Can this be adjusted, and if so, how is that done?

The second is the idle. When I start the truck, its idling at 1250-1500 rpm. Today it was a bit colder, in the low 40s, and it was idling at 2200 rpm. How is the idle speed controled, and is that component failing?

Usualy the idle drops as the truck warms up; today it didn't and I couldn't put the truck in gear.

Any advice or pointers on how to correct these issues would be grealtly appreciated!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
The clutch can be adjusted at the back of the clutch pedal...
there is a push rod/nut adjustment there.

check the FSM for specification of that.

as far as the idle issue... could be several things...
but it would help to know what motor resides in yer junk.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
While you can adjust the pedal a little, I would be more concerned with WHY the pedal is low. Air in the hydraulic system, as well as a bad clutch and/or pressure plate would also cause the same issue. Inspect it all and check for wear and possible fluid leaks.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
I have a 3.4.
I checked for leaks, didn't find any. The clutch was supposedly replaced about 10k miles ago. Is there a way to bleed the system like you do with brakes?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
It bleeds pretty much the same. Since you have a low pedal, see if you can pump it up and get a better pedal. If it pumps up, then you most likely have air in the system or a leak. Not all leaks are external. You could have the master or slave bypassing internally. Again these are several different POSSIBILITIES of what you have.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
6without knowing the miles, but age is just as much a factor, when I got my truck last fall, my clutch was weak also, and replacing or rebuilding the master cylinder and the slave cylinder made a world of difference, but these parts do wear out. good write ups on here, on how to do it, not a hard job at all, just need to get a extra left leg to help bleed the system if you have to do this. also its a good idea to flush it out anyway and keep the fluid fresh in it.
as with the idle, cold it should start up cold and idle around 1600-1800 for a few mins to get warm and drop to around 800, but don't trust the trucks tack for a accurate reading they are almost always off, it just give you a close idea. and there are lots of basic maintenance things that effect idle, I have had to do almost all, but its better than riding the bus! its just part of the joy of having wheels. lots of info here, its not too hard.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
is it a low engagement point...
or is the pedal not returning ?

seeings that your clutch was done...
makes me suspect
that plunger adjustment at the pedal wasn't done correctly.

whom did the clutch ?

as far as the high idle on yer 3.4L...
  • check air filter
  • check and clean yer MAF
  • check your IAC valve (idle control unit) for carbon build up/fault
  • check intake for cleanliness (sea foam if necessary)
  • check and be sure that spark plug/wires are in good working cond.
is timing belt service due ?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
It sounds like theres lots of little things to check out.
To clarify, its a low engagement point on the clutch. When the transmission is cold, you cannot get the truck in or out of gear while its running. The clutch is grabbing a litter even when pressed to the floor.