1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving turn signals to corners.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brs127s, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Oct 24, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    brs127s

brs127s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    Before everyone tells me to use the search, I already have and read every bit of information for moving the turn signals to the corner marker lights. I know there are several different methods for doing so.

I have an 04 D-cab. I would prefer to cut a hole in the corner housing and add the turn signal socket, but from all the reading, I know that they don't have as much room as the earlier years. I had been looking around at other amber colored light bulbs in hope find a smaller bulb that would also have a smaller socket. My thoughts were that it would be easier to add a smaller socket to the housing. Well, I found a small amber bulb and traced it back to find out it was the side marker light for the Crown Vics/Grand Marquis. No I haven't went to the parts store yet to see how big the socket was just yet, so I don't know if it usable or not. Would a bulb that is deemed as a marker lamp work for a turn signal? The only difference I could think of is that the turn bulb might have a heavier filament to take the on/off flash. Any thoughts?

2. Oct 24, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Doesn't matter.
    Run whatever bulb you can to make it work.

3. Oct 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
  4. Nov 19, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    brs127s

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    Okay, I scored a set of the plug in sockets from an 84 Honda Prelude. I drilled/Dremelled holes just below the existing side marker socket, wired the new sockets into the turn signals, and plugged them in with 194 clear bulbs. Everything works fine, but I am now questioning if the 194s are bright enough. The 194 is a 4.6 watt bulb. The side marker is a 168 and is 4.9 watts. It is a little brighter. I considered switching the bulbs in order for the turn signal to be brighter. The other thing is I get turbo blink if I unplug the bumper turn signal. When I get a new front bumper, this will be an issue, as I don't want the turn signals in the bumper.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a brighter bulb? Will I need a load balancer to get rid of the turbo blink?

5. Nov 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    brs127s

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    For anyone following this thread, I picked up a couple of 921 clear bulbs to try. They are a bigger bulb, but still have a wedge base. They should fit in any socket that a 168 or 194 fits in, as they have a extended neck between the base and the head of the bulb. They have a higher wattage than a 168 or 194, but not still not as much as the blinker side of the 4157. I am hoping it will be high enought to get rid of the turbo blink.

6. Nov 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    brs127s

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    UPDATE:
    1. A 921 bulb will fit in the sockets a 168 or 194 bulb will fit in.
    2. A 921 bulb can be used as a turn signal bulb and carries enough resistance to flash properly (ie: no turbo flash).

I plugged in a 921 into my added socket for the new corner turn. It flashed brighter than the park lamp. I then pulled the 4127 bulb for that side and the 921 flashed at the normal rate. My big problem now is that I cannot fit the 921 bulb through the hole my new corner turn socket plugs into. I cannot make the hole any larger, or the new plug will not fit securely into the hole. I can either swap the smaller plug for the larger size push in socket, or I can just make the new plug the parking lamp and the original corner socket the turn, as the bulb will fit through the original socket's hole without any modifications.

7. Dec 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    DSully72

DSully72 2WD Problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Appling, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    okay rather than start yet ANOTHER thread on this... im just going to bring up a fairly recent one... I guess i should just try to put this as simple as i can, so...

WHAT I WANT:
    - corner lights (current marker lights) to function as markers AND turn signals.
    - lights in bumper (original turn signals) to function as fogs/driving lights.

So can someone please help me and tell me the simplest way to do this? If i can avoid it, id prefer not to have to cut and modify my light housings... will if neccesary, but dont want to... the simplest way ive seen is to basicaly take the green wires behind the corner lamp (one goes to the corner, and one goes to the turn signals) and basically switch them. but im pretty sure that means i will no longer have marker lights

8. Dec 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    DSully72

DSully72 2WD Problems

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Appling, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top