1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radar detector direct wire help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Crazycarl50, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Oct 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    Crazycarl50

Crazycarl50 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Colmbus be
    Vehicle:
    02 crew cab limited trd supercharged
    Trd supercharger bull bar custom rims
    I bought a used valentine one radar detector and want to direct wire it I think the best option would be to run the wire up the rear view mirror to the wires for the dome lights but I can't find a way to remove the plastic around the dome lights to get to the wires i could use some help with this I know their are some threads on this for second gens but can't find any for first gens thanks

2. Oct 24, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Add a fuse to the fuse box, way easier.

3. Oct 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    Crazycarl50

Crazycarl50 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Colmbus be
    Vehicle:
    02 crew cab limited trd supercharged
    Trd supercharger bull bar custom rims
    Yea but I don't feel like having to run 15 feet if chord and having to pull up the dash and inteor panels to run it cleanly the radar detectors already mounted under the rear view mirror wouldn't it be fairly easy to run the wire up the mirror and tap into the wire for the dome lights

4. Oct 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM
    hpvds

hpvds Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manie
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 4x4 Doublecab
    Ironman 4x4 FCP lift, ARB bumper, NL Dual bats, Skids and sliders
    There should be a 12v line that you can tap going through that cap between the mirror and the roof lining. I tapped that just past the roof lining above the garage door opener cover thingy and installed a quick off switch in the cover as well. It's worked flawlessly for me for over 2 years now.

If you don't figure it out, PM me and I will take pics of mine and send it to you.

Edit: Just noticed that you have a 1st gen. My dad also has a 2002 and has his Radar detector hardwired. I'm going home this weekend, and can check how we did it there if need be.

5. Oct 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    The cover to change the map lights just pulls off from the front (windshield side). Then you can unscrew the whole deal and stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top