Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New battery - now battery hold down doesn't fit

Old 10-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
New battery - now battery hold down doesn't fit

Put in a Diehard Platinum and it's taller than the previous battery I had in.

So now the hold down bracket doesn't even come close to reaching the bottom of the battery or tray (the rear post thing with a hook at the end)

If I just tighten down the front 12mm bolt it doesn't do shit. The battery just slides side to side, front to back.

What is the solution?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

So now the hold down bracket doesn't even come close to reaching the bottom of the battery or tray (the rear post thing with a hook at the end)

If I just tighten down the front 12mm bolt it doesn't do shit. The battery just slides side to side, front to back.

What is the solution?
a different hold bracket
Old 10-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=9301322
or
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=9301890
Old 10-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
a different hold bracket
Yup. Or fabricate something.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
a different hold bracket
Thank you, Capt Obvious

Thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
My bungee cord/zip tie contraption didn't do shit either.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

What is the solution?
Get longer bolts.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
Is it just the bolt length? Get a couple of feet of allthread (depot, lowes, any hardware store) that fits the nut/retainer, make your own
Old 10-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue. Autozone sells exactly what you need for like $4
Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter247 View Post
I had the same issue. Autozone sells exactly what you need for like $4
That's what I bought... one of those longer rods and wingnut.

It's not totally snug but I'm hoping it'll hold during 4-wheeling
Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
BAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura aboutBAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura aboutBAZZMAZZA has a spectacular aura about

Navy:
BAZZMAZZA's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue and fabricated a couple spacers /blocks of wood. I think I just cut a couple pieces from some 1/2 inch ply board and was GTG. A couple spacers should do the trick.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So now the hold down bracket doesn't even come close to reaching
please post pictars just for the entertainment of it
Old 10-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
years ago, there was someone on TTORA who was welding up custom tie down brackets for the Optimas... i got one and it keeps my yellow top really secured...

try to find a welder in your area who can create a bracket for you, especially if you are wheeling...

i have seen someone whose aftermarket battery popped out from under a DIY bracket mod and it sent the battery right into the fan... he was pretty pissed since we were out in the middle of the desert, but luckily it only cracked a small piece of the fan blade off...
Old 10-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you, Capt Obvious
Hey you asked lol. That's the proper fix for it. Try vatozone or try to fabricate a tie down with flat steel stock
Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
how about get the right battery for the truck?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZZMAZZA View Post
I had the same issue and fabricated a couple spacers /blocks of wood. I think I just cut a couple pieces from some 1/2 inch ply board and was GTG. A couple spacers should do the trick.

My new batt. was too short also......

Old 10-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Excessive vibration kills lead-acid batteries because the active plate material is prematurely knocked off causing a loss of capacity or performance. The settlement builds in the bottom of the battery until it shorts out the plates on some batteries causing a premature battery failure. So you should find or make a hold down clamp or you will be replacing your battery sooner than you expected.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
My new batt. was too short also......

edit:
oh and f 'dem plastic spacers too... I have an unused one (fits the 34-34/78 YT)
...if anyone wants it lemme know

* the oem battery hold down can be easily modified to work very well
...does require some light fab/welding tho'