Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clutch Start cancel switch - only way to start my 97 tacoma

Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
prozac is on a distinguished road
Name: Zach
prozac's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch Start cancel switch - only way to start my 97 tacoma

Ok so as the title states here currently the only way I can start my 97 tacoma is to press the clutch start cancel switch.

I have recently found out this switch is actually intended for the purpose of hills etc so you can start the truck in gear.

obviously it works fine when hitting the start cancel button first but this seems like a problem to me even though it may be a good theft deterrent ha.

Is there a sensor etc that could be out and causing this? is something wrong with my clutch?

I should also mention its a 4wd and obviously a manual.

Thanks in advance for the help guys

Zach
Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Got R Did
jtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtgroce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jtgroce's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like bad switch on your clutch pedal. So if you push clutch in as far as you can still no connection?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
dark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the sheddark tangent is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dark tangent's Tacoma Gallery
I don't understand what you said about the clutch cancel button being used to start the truck in gear. Is that possible? If I would try to start the engine with it in gear and the clutch out, well, something bad would happen. Am I missing something here?

I always use with the cluth cancel button to start my truck, it's easier, but it's gotta be in neutral.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark tangent View Post
I don't understand what you said about the clutch cancel button being used to start the truck in gear. Is that possible? If I would try to start the engine with it in gear and the clutch out, well, something bad would happen. Am I missing something here?

I always use with the cluth cancel button to start my truck, it's easier, but it's gotta be in neutral.
Yup, its to get u out of shitty situations when your engine is dead
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
This happened to me too.
Before replacing any switches, stick your head underneath the dash. There is a single 12 mm bolt that goes vertically up into the dash that's attached to a metal bracket connected to the clutch pedal assembly. That bolt came loose on my truck and caused the exact same problem. Three twists with a ratchet and snugged down and problem solved.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
prozac is on a distinguished road
Name: Zach
prozac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
This happened to me too.
Before replacing any switches, stick your head underneath the dash. There is a single 12 mm bolt that goes vertically up into the dash that's attached to a metal bracket connected to the clutch pedal assembly. That bolt came loose on my truck and caused the exact same problem. Three twists with a ratchet and snugged down and problem solved.
Sweet thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check that first

on a bright note it looks like that switch is only about $25 so that should be a cheap fix too I was worried it would be much worse news

Zach
Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
This happened to me too.
That bolt came loose on mine and was causing the most heinous rattle for a day...