Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

There are some great vendors out there with outstanding customer service

Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
regkeg is on a distinguished road

Name: Dick
regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry bout that, I tried it with my phone but something took a dump. This should work.

Attached Thumbnails
There are some great vendors out there with outstanding customer service-imag1435.jpg   There are some great vendors out there with outstanding customer service-imag1432.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #22

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
I had a clunk oN down travel and found it to be the spindle hitting the coil. Wore the paint off. I didn't find this till I was replacing it with ome. Check for wear on the coil near the closest point the spindle is on level ground.
I just looked and see no sign of the coil hitting anything.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
that looks like a good 1/2'' of spacers on the bottom..not needed. That would net a whole extra 1'' of lift.

i bet with those off it would be a different truck.
Are you talking about that brass looking piece below the spring perch?

And as far as ToyTec goes, do not expect them to give you a good answer if you have any technical questions. The few times I have called with some questions about their products I was given less than helpful responses. "I can't say unless I have it in front of me" seems to be a really popular answer.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
There is the brass ring yes..but then a second black one..only the brass should be there.

really with 882s due to their taller free standing height, don't need them anyways. they get a bit of precompression as it is due to being so long.
Ah ok I see it. It almost looks like it is apart of the perch.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #27

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
I found better pics of the shocks right after installation. I cropped to only show the bottom of the shock.

This is the bottom of the driver's side shock.

This is the bottom of the passenger side shock.
Attached Thumbnails
There are some great vendors out there with outstanding customer service-dsc03169-driver-side-after-diff-drop-cropped.jpg   There are some great vendors out there with outstanding customer service-dsc03170-pass-side-after-diff-drop-cropped.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #28
Stop staring at me swan!

Both perches look identical to me (besides the drivers side with the trim packer).
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #30
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Tall coils, firm shocks, no weight.... Seems to me to not be that unexpected.

Could it be a problem from something else, like the ball joints?
he has a winch and ARB bumper. Plenty of weight.

could be the newer sport shocks just don't pair well with the 882s

LBJ could be clicking or even CVs binding if its a true 4''. Does look pretty tall.

Either way something isn't right and im glad he is getting it fixed.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #31
Stop staring at me swan!

Are you 100% sure everything was assembled correctly? If you didn't do the install I would suggest printing off a OME How-To for 1st gens and looking over your truck with it. When I installed my 5100's and Eibachs (I know completely different setup, apples to oranges) I forgot one bushing on my passenger side assembly and strut was shooting up through the shock tower and it rode like ass (long story) but that was a severe noise/feeling. Not sure if that helps or not but it's just a thought.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #32
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
Are you 100% sure everything was assembled correctly? If you didn't do the install I would suggest printing off a OME How-To for 1st gens and looking over your truck with it. When I installed my 5100's and Eibachs (I know completely different setup, apples to oranges) I forgot one bushing on my passenger side assembly and strut was shooting up through the shock tower and it rode like ass (long story) but that was a severe noise/feeling. Not sure if that helps or not but it's just a thought.

haha we just had a guy do that as well.

Either way doesn't matter that much. A professional company assembled them and if they did it wrong they should have fixed it right off the batt. ARB helped and now they will be fixed..hopefully. If there are still issues then i would suspect the Toytec is having problems assembling coils..
Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #33

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec shipped the coils/shocks pre-assembled and I was there when the install was done and they did it by the book.

Why only one side making the clunk I don't know but I do know that both sides are stiff as a board and barely flex at all. I can stand on the front bumper and jump on it and the suspension doesn't move. The sound is solid and definite. There's no clicking to it, it almost sounds like someone with about a 3-4 pound hammer thumps on the frame when it does it.

It's almost like the coils that were installed as 882s are something else that's way heavier.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #35

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
there a part number on them??

wonder if they are 885s lol
Can't tell about a p/n with them mounted on the truck. Whoever assembled them at Toytec wrote on the top but that doesn't really mean anything.

Is there a difference in coil diameters between the different coils?

Attached Thumbnails
There are some great vendors out there with outstanding customer service-imag1197.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #37
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for sharing your story. I've got the Toytec ultimate lift up front and have experienced this same "clunking" sound in my passenger side wheel well. It only happens when turning left. I've replaced lower ball joints thinking that was the issue and it wasn't. I've also replaced the sway bar bushing with no luck. Glad yours seems to be fixed though.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #40

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
not sure about diameter..thickness you bet.
My bad. It was coil material diameter I meant. Is there any info anywhere that lists the "thickness" of the different coils??