Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

There are some great vendors out there with outstanding customer service

Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #41
regkeg is on a distinguished road

Name: Dick
regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Went back out and looked closer and found a label on the coil. Can't see it real good but can easily tell it says 882. I also miked the coil material and it was .655" which comes out to 16.637mm so it looks like they really are 882s.

Attached Thumbnails
There are some great vendors out there with outstanding customer service-imag1438-cropped-show-label.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #42

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
mine did on factory parts + spacers like i mentioned. here is the worn part on the coils.

if it is on down travel, it would seem to me that if you jack the front of the truck up and then look around and find whats contacting something it shouldnt be.
We've looked and looked and find no problems. The general consensus of both ARB and Toytec is that the coil has the shock almost fully extended at all times and that the internal valving can't react quick enough so the shock bottoms out internally when hitting a sharp bump.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #44

regkeg's Tacoma Gallery
It's been a while and I had some delays but Toytec did send the new shocks w/883 coils n.c. and I had them installed. I did some measuring before removing the 882 setup and after installing the 883 units and the center of hub to fender flare is exactly the same with the 883s and it was with the 882s. However, the 882s had almost 1000 miles on them and the 883s were new so I'll see if the 883s settle any.

As for the clunk, about 95% of it's gone. I still occasionally get a clunk in the front driver's side if I hit a good size hole/crack etc. Maybe the 883s will settle enough to get rid of it totally.

I haven't done any testing to see if the flex is any different but given that the measurements are the same I doubt I'll see much difference but if the weather ever dries out some I'll see what I can find.

I guess that if you buy a suspension replacement that gives you X amount of lift it seems that you get that lift by stretching the shock to almost a fully extended position and thus the clunk, at least for some trucks.