1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Timing Belt on a 2002 Tacoma V6

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Monster1, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Nov 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    Monster1

Monster1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition DC Tacoma 4WD
    Weathertech digitals front and rear, TRD exhaust, Coverking dash mat, Oem Tacoma bedmat, Better Built tool box, bed extender, Toytec 1 1/2" AAL, Bilsteins front and rears, fronts set at .85, K&N filter, aluminum skid plate, EGR vent shades, locking tailgate handle, TRD emblems, Cal Trend seat covers front and back.
    I would appreciate any advice I can get, I have a 2002 Tacoma that I bought brand new and wold like some advice on when to start worrying about the timing belt. I have 81,000 miles on it now and am kind of worried that the belt might snap, is this a good time to replace or am I ok? If so what brand parts should I use for replacement? Is this a job I should be able to do on my own or is it to complicated? I do all my oil changes, tune ups and other minor jobs on my Tacoma. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

2. Nov 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    Yea put this thread in the 1st gen section.

3. Nov 14, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Toyota recommends replacing your timing belt on that engine at 90k miles. That being said, I have heard and seen them last much longer. The age-old question is always "Are you willing to risk it?" I have myself waited well into the 100k+ miles before changing the belts on different vehicles. Will yours break? There is no way of knowing for sure. I have seen them break early, and seen them break late, and yet seen them not break at all with 200k miles on the engine. I will say that belts tend to last longer in the southern states where the belts don't go through too much in extreme swings of hot and cold. (this is based on my experience and other techs that I know personally who live all over the country and is by no way an indication of fact)

That being said, a timing belt is not the most difficult job to handle. You mentioned that you have done your own maintenance? What I would suggest you ask yourself is do you KNOW what you are doing, or have you just accomplished the job before? DOING a job and KNOWING a job are different. With a good Haynes manual you should easily be able to tackle this job on a Saturday in your garage. Make sure you get ALL of the parts you will need for this job before you get started.

When doing a timing belt you will find lots of suggestions on what to replace. I always say that if you are already there, may as well replace it, so here is the list I recommend:

1. Timing belt kit (Belt and related pulleys/tensioner)
    2. Water pump (You are right there, replace it now or replace it later)
    3. Thermostat (at 80k, I suggest this since it is a cheap part that can cause EXPENSIVE repairs if it fails)
    4. Coolant (Always a good idea to have 3 gallons of mixed coolant. You can buy it premixed if you want, or buy the regular concentrate and mix it yourself. Personally I buy it concentrated and mix it)
    5. Engine drive belt(s) (If you have already replaced it/them, or if it/they looks in great shape, then don't replace)
    Others feel free to add what parts you might recommend be replaced.

4. Nov 14, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    video here

http://www.powerblocktv.com/player/show_player.php?ep_num=TK2011-02&ep_show=TK

5. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    Monster1

Monster1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition DC Tacoma 4WD
    Weathertech digitals front and rear, TRD exhaust, Coverking dash mat, Oem Tacoma bedmat, Better Built tool box, bed extender, Toytec 1 1/2" AAL, Bilsteins front and rears, fronts set at .85, K&N filter, aluminum skid plate, EGR vent shades, locking tailgate handle, TRD emblems, Cal Trend seat covers front and back.
    @ntilehman, sorry to post this on the 2nd gen, just made a mistake, hope you didn't lose any sleep over it, just saying.

6. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I believe there is also a TIME interval for those belts. Like 90K miles/ 7 years? I would change it now. Rubber degenerates over time.

7. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    We have an ongoing joke that everything gets posted in second gen, especially if it has nothing to do second gens.:D

If you go check the 1st gen forum, you'll find a wealth of info for your "other" truck, including timgin belt info, how-tos, maintenance manuals and intervals, etc.

If you would like to have one of your threads moved or the title changed (or deleted entirely), you can just PM a moderator, and they will take care of it for you.

Welcome to the site.:)

PS, I have nothing to add technically, because Bill nailed it, and I have never personally done this job. You might want to download the FSM for refercence if you are going to dive in.

8. Nov 15, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    No worries man. I meant that you may get a little more help with your issue if it was posted where other people may have had the same thing.

9. Nov 15, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
  10. Nov 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
  11. Nov 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    just make sure you have a impact gun and a air compressor pulling the bolts for your harmonic dampener will just turn the engine with a normal breaker bar also I think there is a tool that will hold your camshafts from turning sometimes when you are installing the belt on the tensioner it pulls a cam off by just one tooth allso they make a special tool to release the tension off the time belt tensioner I think it may be hydraulic.

12. Nov 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    have you herd about the new timing belt alternative!!! its the heated rear bumper package. I think most fords come with it now, basically its heats the rear bumper so your hands dont get cold when your pushing it home. ha ha ha.

Products Discussed in

To Top