1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

theft prevention

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BlackSportD, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Aug 13, 2007 at 3:51 PM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    What are you first gens doing for theft prevention?

On my 01 from the previous owner there is a Viper system that appears so set off the alarm if the doors or rear window is opened without the alarm being disabled. I'm not much of a fan of that as it seems car thiefs are well beyond those simple systems. I wish it also had an impact sensor as at least, and hopefully there is an upgrade for that without replacing the whole thing.

I was thinking of also putting in an ignition or fuel cut out switch just for more security, is that a popular thing to do around here?

Anyone have that new cell phone like GPS tracking device yet? It is battery powered and can be moved to whatever car you like, just hide it under the seat or what not.

2. Aug 15, 2007 at 3:05 PM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    I still haven't narrowed down the alarm that I have completely (haven't opened up where it is and looked at the label), but after going to Viper's homepage and calling their number I was given a website where to order the shock sensor upgrade, as I've had a hard on to have the feature as my other car has it and I can really relate to luka's post (#4) http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95089 in the customtaco's forum as I only had the truck for a few days and someone messed up the hood braking into a locker infront of it.

For anyone interested here it is, pretty affordable too.

http://www.directedstore.com/cgi-bi...ate=PDGCommTemplates\FullNav\SearchResult.asp

It is supposed to wire in without trouble. I think I'll tackle it myself if the instructions are good enough.

B.

3. Aug 29, 2007 at 7:28 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I know someone who has removed their steering wheel and has a Grant style one in its stead that he removes everytime he parks it (only held on with 3 screws).

4. Aug 29, 2007 at 8:48 AM
    dubtee

dubtee Member

Member:
    which would be better a upgraded car alarm or a engine kill switch?

5. Aug 29, 2007 at 9:28 AM
    dubtee

dubtee Member

Member:
    well clay, a key and switch are two different things. and the topic is "theft prevention" emphasis on prevention, slap nuts.

6. Aug 29, 2007 at 4:06 PM
    BlackSportD

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Well I got the shock alarm upgrade in, and re-learned the good old leason to make sure its not there in the first place. Went to install it and the guy already had it there, but the adjustment reostat was set to so insensitive thats why I didn't think it was there at all, it would take a damn car collision to set the thing off.

So now its on full sensitive, but its still not to my liking, but better. The truck frame design seems to isolate any inpact on the truck bed so that the sensor in the cabin doesn't pick it up, I might parrallel the extra one into the original lines and put it in the undercarage somewhere near the truck bed.

I'm still thinking of doing a kill switch too as its so cheap to do, but my friend's father's T100 got its cat stolen a few nights ago. Doing lots of shopping around and research on getting a new one he comes to find out this is a very very common thing now, at least in SoCal. Now maybe the thing to do is weld the exhaust haha, and hopefully putting the second sensor somewhere in that area will help. LA is great.

Products Discussed in

To Top