Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

QUESTION...2001.OD BUTTON ON AUTOMATIC SHIFT HANDLE

Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
MWCTEXAS is on a distinguished road
Name: MIKE
MWCTEXAS's Tacoma Gallery
QUESTION...2001.OD BUTTON ON AUTOMATIC SHIFT HANDLE

Help!!....please.....I've been told the switch (the overdrive) on the automatic gear shift lever is dead.....I'm not sure.....I've look high and low and can't find out if/where there's a fuse for this switch......if you know...please..I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know....
also....I was wondering if anyone has replaced the handle or the switch....
....any problems?.....thank you...Mike
Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Who told you it is dead? Are you in/out of over drive right now?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
switch...

Hi...It's in OD...the switch doesn't turn the dash light on...and does not downshift...I called my trusty, sharp, toyota service guy...(he's in another city)
......he's pretty sure it's the switch.....thanks...there's got to be a fuse somewhere...I should have asked him about that....oh well...thanks..Mike..
Old 11-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
At least its in OD. If you need to down shift due to towing, just put it in ECT Power mode and it should down shift for you as needed.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
MJolley is on a distinguished road
MJolley's Tacoma Gallery
Curious if you figured out what it was? My 01 is doing the same thing. I replaced the switch at the dealership (no change) and now they're saying it's a bad ECM.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I can check for sure when I get to the shop tomorrow, but there is no load on that switch, so it most likely is NOT fused. Switches like that are a ground-interrupt signal, and simply either provide a ground path, or open that ground path on a signal input. No need to protect it with a fuse. You are looking at one or more of the following:
Poor/open ground circuit
Bad switch
Open wire
Shorted wire
Bad ECU (least likely)

I will try to remember to look up that circuit tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
MJolley is on a distinguished road
MJolley's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
we disconnected the O/D button when replacing the shifter bezel on my 90 4runner. unfortunately upon reassembling it all we had to create a new switch and rewire it all but it worked with a switch instead of a button!
so rest assured if the rest of the shifting happens without incident your ECU is fine. just replace the button
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Mr Biscuits....

thanks for the info.....but.....everything is fine now.....
the switch on the lever was the first thing i replaced....
I ended up taking it to toyota....they insisted it was the ECU and a solenoid....
obviously I took one in the shorts!!!.....oh well....problem solved and after about a month..my ass feels better too...take care..Mike