1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

replacing stock air intake; 01' necessary?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beedoola, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Nov 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    beedoola

beedoola [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    I've seen some folks here with the K&N air intakes. Does it increase the performance significantly or does it just look purdy?

I have a 2.7 pre runner.

2. Nov 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM
    Razgriz

Razgriz wtf am i reading

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 White TRD 4x4
    It can gain some performance from it. I have the AFE Cold Air Intake with my v6. I saw a tiny gain in MPG and the throttle felt more responsive.

3. Nov 15, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    I've got the V6 with the K&N intake, I wouldn't waste my money to be honest. Thinking about removing mine and doing the deckplate mod.

4. Nov 15, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    trmarshall1

trmarshall1 The Least Interesting Man In The World

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Supercharged
    4" Pro-Comp Lift, TRD cat back exhaust, grey wire mod, clutch pedal linear spring mod
    Bingo.

5. Nov 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    k&n cold air intake ive got one and its a pipe dream, sounds cool but ive read that it actually
    loses horse power, I dont know but my girlfriend has the exact same truck n engine as me one year off. mine has k&n and I feel a better response time, and horses at the wheels on hers. wheres it get this COLD air anyway the exact same place the stock filter did? the only benifit would be the reduced restriction of intake air but Im wondering if thats messing with my vaccum pressures allso i have to clean my MAP sensor due to it will throw codes about once a year probably from filter oil. sure looks n sounds cool though. so yeah do it dude.

6. Nov 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    DECKPLATE MOD ALL DAY LONG. Combine it with an AFE Pro Dry-S filter and you'll have yourself a real custom intake that rivals K&N for pennies on the dollar. Quicker throttle response, better MPG (debatable), and something that sounds like a tiger roaring under your hood. Do it mang.

7. Nov 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    ALawrence

ALawrence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Sr5 Double cab 4x4
    I think the AFE pro dry filter is the way to go in a stock air box. I wouldn't do the deckplate mod. I think toyota had it right when they designed the air box, if they thought you needed a big hole in the air box they would of put one there

Products Discussed in

To Top