Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Power window problems

Old 11-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
nmm7199 is on a distinguished road
nmm7199's Tacoma Gallery
Power window problems

I have a 2004 Xtra Cab Tacoma. I've changed both power window switches and the motor is good when I wire it directly to a battery. ANY idea as to why my passenger side will roll down with the passenger side switch and not the driver's side...neither will roll the window up. OCCASIONALLY, they will both work. I'm thinking a bad ground somewhere? Does any one know where these are grounded so that I can check it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmm7199 View Post
I have a 2004 Xtra Cab Tacoma. I've changed both power window switches and the motor is good when I wire it directly to a battery. ANY idea as to why my passenger side will roll down with the passenger side switch and not the driver's side...neither will roll the window up. OCCASIONALLY, they will both work. I'm thinking a bad ground somewhere? Does any one know where these are grounded so that I can check it?

Thanks in advance!
Did you clean the contacts within the master switch assembly?

My driver's side switch for my driver's side window was sporadic.

Take it apart and spray the hell out of the contacts with electric parts cleaner and wipe clean with a swab.

It made all the world of difference for me.

I'm a little hesitant to say that is ultimately your problem because it doesn't work on your passenger side either. Not sure if the contacts are the issue because they are physically manipulated to connect the circuit.

As for your question, I had my 98 door panels off and the wires that run up into my passenger side, and driver's side switch (and assembly) were all just bundled together and ran into a quick connect that plugged in under the switch. I am not sure what color wire is what but they all ran through the rubber pass through and behind the kick panel. Then they plugged in to a massive connector of many wires.

Here's my master assembly before and after:

The passenger side switch, for the passenger side window, are those copper and silver circular contacts in the upper right of the bottom pic. The driver's side switch for the driver's side window are those thin copper and silver blades that run vertically in the lower right of the bottom picture.

Hope that helps
Old 11-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
nmm7199's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! I'll give it a try and see. That makes sense since it is sporadic, like you say. I'll tear it apart and see what works.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmm7199 View Post

Thanks in advance!
If you have brand new switches, and the passenger switch always will move the window down, I believe you can eliminate the switches and motor.

My first check would be the wiring harness where it enters the driver's door. Every time you open and close your door, all the wires get flexed. I'm not aware of an issue with Tacomas, but have heard of other makes getting cracked wires in that area. The insulation may be intact, but the copper inside can be broken. Usually, the two switches are connected in such a way that a failure in the driver's side harness may affect the passenger side control.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
nmm7199's Tacoma Gallery
Do any of y'all know which wires might possibly be the culprit of this problem? I'm sure it's probably in the areas between the doors and the cabs, but if the insulation isn't broken, it's tough to figure out which one it could be.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Only women shave beneath the neck.
Tribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shedTribull is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Tribull's Tacoma Gallery
I had a similar problem with my driver side window about a year ago. Sporadic operation. I checked the switches, cleaned them. It was still sporadic. I tested the motor, it TESTED good. I check all my connections, and didn't find anything wrong with the wiring. I ended up replacing the motor, and voila! It worked!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
nmm7199's Tacoma Gallery
Ok. I had a friend who runs a Japanese automotive shop dig into it today. He said that I'm not getting a ground signal coming from the main switch in the driver's door (that switch is good btw). He said that the ground comes from the ECM (if I understood him correctly). Does anyone know how to test for that or what color wire I could trace to see if I have a broken ground coming from the ECM? I'm grasping at straws, I know. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe it's a P/W relay.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
You need a wiring schematic. If your buddy isn't able to print you one out, a Haynes or Chiltons from the parts store should have that info in it. You could also buy a AllDatadiy subscription for your truck. I have one for mine, it's very useful. They do short term 6 month subscriptions too, I want to say they are under 20 bucks.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
nmm7199's Tacoma Gallery
I have continuity on the copper terminals. Should I have it on the other 2 also?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
I am looking at my diagram for a 2006, just for a general idea of how the power flow works.

Is the situation still the same as your original post? The passenger switch works to roll down the passenger window, but not up, and the drivers switch won't operate the passenger window at all? The driver's window still works?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Maybe it's a P/W relay.
The relay just supplies power to the window system when the key is on. As long as he has some sign of life from the windows, the relay is okay.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
nmm7199's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. I used new switches. Tested the drivers side with a new switch...replaced the passenger side. Passenger window will roll down but won't come back up. I can raise it with a wire directly from the battery to the motor. Hard to do coming down the road though .
Old 09-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
Yeah, I am looking at the wiring for my truck and yours must be different, I can't visualize how a wiring failure would cause those symptoms with the way mine is wired. It would have to be a failed switch.

So you tried a new driver's side switch, it did not make a difference, then you changed the passenger switch? Did you ever have both new switches installed at the same time. You may have a failure in both of them. That could cause these symptoms.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
nmm7199's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. I had both new switches in and got the same result. I just didn't keep the new main switch since nothing changed.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
I think your next step should be a wiring diagram, a meter, and someone to hold the switches down while you probe wires with the meter.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
nmm7199's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for trying! I have everyone around here stumped.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
If anyone else is reading this and has the ability to post the wiring diagram for this system, I am very curious.