LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck wont start occasionally, gas cap issue

Old 11-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #21
Gnarly By Nature
WuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WuTang's Tacoma Gallery
Its a standard 5 speed and I do always push in the clutch when trying to start it
Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #22
Old N.R.A. Hippy
Sittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
Sittingbull2's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you have a good ground and check your starter wires on the starter.Its possible what you have is a loose connection down on starter. Clean your Battery Terminals. Might also be Starter Relay. Could be any of these things. I attached some info about the starter.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Starter Components.pdf (62.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf Starter Relay insp.pdf (16.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #23
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
This can be tested, but now that we have the right information, diagnosis is a lot easier. The ful filter and such have no bearing on your issue. What you have is called a "Vehicle will not CRANK" complaint, not a "Vehicle won't START" complaint.

As mentioned, you could have a starter issue or a clutch switch issue. (Or a few others) I would start with the basics: Verify that BOTH battery terminals are CLEAN and TIGHT. After that verify that the ground cable from the battery is tight where it connects to the engine. Bad connections in these areas are common for an intermittent "No Crank" issue. Once you have checked those things and verified they are good or bad, let us know.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #24
Gnarly By Nature
WuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shedWuTang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WuTang's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I cleaned up the battery terminals really good and that didnt do it. Im gonna check the starter and relay right now

EDIT: i also cleaned and tightened the ground connection when i cleaned the terminals
Old 11-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #25
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OK, let me know what you find. One thing you can try is if you can find a matching relay for the starter (that is not an engine relay) you could swap it out temporarily. If you have a test light, you can check the terminal for the starter solenoid and work your way backwards towards the relay and such to try and locate the fault.

If you have power at the solenoid when the key is in crank, but the starter does not engage, then do some searches on here for starter solenoid problems and there are a few threads that will explain how to fix it. However with your admitted lack of mechanical and auto electrical experience/knowledge, you might consider taking it in to get it repaired.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
Gnarly By Nature

WuTang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
OK, let me know what you find. One thing you can try is if you can find a matching relay for the starter (that is not an engine relay) you could swap it out temporarily. If you have a test light, you can check the terminal for the starter solenoid and work your way backwards towards the relay and such to try and locate the fault.

If you have power at the solenoid when the key is in crank, but the starter does not engage, then do some searches on here for starter solenoid problems and there are a few threads that will explain how to fix it. However with your admitted lack of mechanical and auto electrical experience/knowledge, you might consider taking it in to get it repaired.
FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!! I wasnt pressing down on the clutch hard enough when i would go to start it go figure hahaha i came to this conclusion when it started right up when i pressed clutch start cancel lol Now on to the CEL!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #27
Old N.R.A. Hippy
Sittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm bailing on this it's yours BamaToy
Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #28
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingbull2 View Post
I'm bailing on this it's yours BamaToy
Gee thanks. lmfao.

OP, if you have a CEL on, you need to get the code read. It can usually be done for free at any parts store.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #29
Gnarly By Nature

WuTang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Gee thanks. lmfao.

OP, if you have a CEL on, you need to get the code read. It can usually be done for free at any parts store.
hahahaha you can bail on me too if you want i think i got it from here, its the same code as before p0420 i've patched up the leaks but still no luck. Im gonna go ahead and order new o2 sensors. My truck meets california emissions regulations so i gotta order cali sensors. thanks for all the help guys hhahaha hopefully someone else sees this and realizes they need to bring their seat forward and push in on the clutch harder
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #30
ASE Master Tech

I've not been one to bail on anyone. I was making a joke with SittingBull. Get those O2 sensors replaced and clear the code. We will go from there.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #31
Gnarly By Nature

WuTang's Tacoma Gallery
You guys wont believe this..... the only thing holding the o2 sensor in place was the shroud around it which was rusted to the flange. I pryed it off with a screwdriver. you can see what i guess used to be one of the nuts on the left. so i found my main problem
Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #33
Old N.R.A. Hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuTang View Post
You guys wont believe this..... the only thing holding the o2 sensor in place was the shroud around it which was rusted to the flange. I pryed it off with a screwdriver. you can see what i guess used to be one of the nuts on the left. so i found my main problem
I'm glad you found it. WTG just some looking and climbing around your truck you can figure alot of it own your own. I'm really glad i could help and Bama I'm sure is glad he could help also. If you need anymore just holler I'm sure me or Bama or anyone else would help you. I was just

Shittingbull LOL
Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #34
Gnarly By Nature

WuTang's Tacoma Gallery
Lol ok thanks man im not as stupid as I probably came off with the whole clutch pedal thing hahaha tho it is going to be hard to justify that now First impressions can be the worst impressions Any way i got the sensor off made a new gasket with some high heat gasket material and bolted her back up. Started it up and didnt feel any leaks. Hopefully the cel will go off on the way to work tonight. Thanks for all the help everyone and a special thanks to bama and bull!!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #35
Old N.R.A. Hippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuTang View Post
Lol ok thanks man im not as stupid as I probably came off with the whole clutch pedal thing hahaha tho it is going to be hard to justify that now First impressions can be the worst impressions Any way i got the sensor off made a new gasket with some high heat gasket material and bolted her back up. Started it up and didnt feel any leaks. Hopefully the cel will go off on the way to work tonight. Thanks for all the help everyone and a special thanks to bama and bull!!
Welcome
Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #36
ASE Master Tech

No problem. I enjoy helping out whenever I can on this forum. I spend more time in the technical side than the chatting side to be honest. I have helped others, and have learned a few things myself that I can pass on to others.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #37
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
It could also be intermittent electrical connection between the battery and the starter motor. The most common of these problems are corroded battery terminals or lugs. Like Mitch said, spark, compression and [atomized] fuel. Electrical faults can affect all of the above.