1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV Axle Help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by stinky coon, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Nov 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    stinky coon

stinky coon [OP] New Member

Member:
    austin, tx
    Vehicle:
    2001 4wd
    Hey All,

I am in the middle of replacing the CV axles on my 2001 tacoma. The driver's side is done. Took a while, but that side appears to be good to go. I then popped out the CV axle on the passenger side and prepared to install the replacement just like the first one. However, it looks like interior of the differential is different then on the driver's side. It looks like there is a splined interior piece missing, and without it there is no groove for the C-clip to pop into. In fact I broke the C-clip trying to pop the axle in.

No additional pieces came out when the original axle was removed, other then the axle and dust cap. Any ideas?

The smooth, shiny part of the diffential in the picture just before the splines had a rotating, splined piece on the driver's side. ??????

Thanks!

differential.jpg

2. Nov 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    How long are the splines on the cv, how long are the splines in the diff? Find a copy of the FSM if you can. Might clear some things up. I'd expect that's just a bearing.

3. Nov 22, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    I've replaced my axles countless times and for the life of me I can't remember exactly what it looks like in there. I think it should be a bearing and then two sets of splines (deep and then narrow) and the snap ring splits the splines.

I attached the relevant section of the FSM, but it's not much help at all.

Attached Files:

• comp.pdf
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Nov 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
    can you post pics of the axles- new and old? that would help to see what u mean.

5. Nov 26, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    stinky coon

stinky coon [OP] New Member

Member:
    austin, tx
    Vehicle:
    2001 4wd
    Well, it looks like I got it figured out! The axle on the passenger side went in just fine with a new c-clip and everything appears to be working. Interesting that the differential bits are not identical on both sides, but from what I have been learning, that is as designed. Thanks for all of the responses!

Now I just have to see how long these Autozone cv axles last. They were only $60 with no core charge. Not too bad.

Products Discussed in

To Top