Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Comfortable seats installed in a Tacoma?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #41
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Yesterday I picked up some 1" foam from jo-ann fabrics for $9. So this morning I tore into the seat again. Thursday night I added a 3/4" piece of foam out of the backrest portion from one of my FJ40 original rear jump seats into the backrest of the Tacoma driver's seat for some much needed lumbar support. Then I had added a 1-1/2" or 2" section under the center of the cushion. The backrest portion is great. My commute is an hour each way and last night was the first time my back hasn't hurt since I parked old BMW for the winter and started driving this Tacoma. My last truck was an 05 TRD with sport buckets that were super-comfy.

So here we go with teardown of the 60/40. Once it's out of the truck you need to unbolt the track on the outside, 3 bolts on the inside, and remove the outer hinge cover and 2 bolts there. Then with a little wiggling you wind up with this.

Then I used a pair of diagonal cutting pliers to remove the hog rings around the base of the seat cushion that hold the upholstery to the frame. There are also a few plastic tabs to undo.

Once those are all undone you flip the cushion over and remove the hog rings that hold the center of the upholstery to the wires embedded in the stock foam.

Now I cut pieces of foam to fit on the top of the original cushion.

Then put the "butt" section in and got out the new hog rings and hog ring pliers and fastened the upholstery back down. Then I put the other sections of new foam in place and put the stock jute pad back under the seat foam, and re-fastened it to the frame.

Then put it back in the truck.

I haven't driven it yet but it's super-cush and seems to be very comfortable. Certainly isn't anything like the sport seats in my 89 325is (which I think are the most comfortable seats on the planet) but I think it will do just fine. I'll report back in a few hundred miles. Who knows how long it will last (probably quite a while I suspect) but considering the truck has 253k on it I think the $9 investment was well worth it. However if I ever come across a 95-97 SR5 Tacoma or a later limited with tan buckets in good shape in a salvage yard I'll be scooping them up for sure. I thought about 4Runner seats but I really don't want to weld (although I can) and I really have to have the passenger seat slide forward. Getting a sleepy 5 year old out of the back would be impossible without that feature.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #42
Dek Ngo is on a distinguished road
Name: D
Dek Ngo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GT 79FJ40 View Post
Yesterday I picked up some 1" foam from jo-ann fabrics for $9.
Is this specifically for seats? Or is it just generic foam?

Why didn't you use the same foam for the lumbar?

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #43
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dek Ngo View Post
Is this specifically for seats? Or is it just generic foam?

Why didn't you use the same foam for the lumbar?

Thanks.
It's generic foam. Not closed-cell so if I get it wet it's going to suck. But it's the same stuff I took out of my FJ40 jumpseats that I used in the backrest. I doubt I'll get it wet though.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #44
A few weeks later... Better but it still sucks.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #45
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GT 79FJ40 View Post
A few weeks later... Better but it still sucks.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #46
your what hurts!?!?!?
Boosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud ofBoosted TRD has much to be proud of
Name: Zeb
Boosted TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've got Supra seats in mine, IMO there pretty comfortable...
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #47
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a guy on CL a few weeks back selling Mini Copper seats for a Tacoma seat swap. It said he had bought them to swap out but did have the truck anymore. I wonder if they would work?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #48
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipskip View Post
I saw a guy on CL a few weeks back selling Mini Copper seats for a Tacoma seat swap. It said he had bought them to swap out but did have the truck anymore. I wonder if they would work?
As I found out with 45acp... anything will really work with enough fabrication.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #49
MikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeMH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Mike
MikeMH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipskip View Post
The seats in my wife's Mini are awesome.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #50
Blutus is on a distinguished road

Blutus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WThomas1250 View Post
Sub'd to get ideas for my '98. I'm constantly trying to find a stock center console to buy so I can get bucket seats.
I have the 60/40 bench seats and I hate them!
Ditto. I didn't think I cared when I bought the truck, but lately every time I get in I find another reason to dislike the 60/40 seat.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #51
ARCEM is on a distinguished road
ARCEM's Tacoma Gallery
I put Mk I Audi TT Recaro's in my Tacoma, I'll try to get a pic in the next few days. I highly recommend it!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #52
AggiePilot12 has a spectacular aura aboutAggiePilot12 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
AggiePilot12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
1998-2002 4Runner seats are bolt ons...
I'm confused.. Did we ever figure out if these 98-02 Runner seats are EXACT SWAP bolt ons? My family's 98 4Runner seats are hella more comfortable than my 03 Taco and would be worth the switch.

Sorry, but grinding/welding aren't worth Scion seats. I'll get some Foam and Wet Okole seat covers to go over the stock seats before I do any of that.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #53
SteveFaust is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
SteveFaust's Tacoma Gallery
I'd also be curious if the 98-02 Runner seats are an exact swap to later model (e.g., my '95) so hopefully this bump will get a response. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #54
David411 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid411 has a spectacular aura about
David411's Tacoma Gallery
Bump for the 98-02 4Runner Seat idea
Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by David411 View Post
Bump for the 98-02 4Runner Seat idea
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=168

Quote:
Toyota 4Runner Seats

Some (but not all) 4Runner seats in some generations will also bolt into your Taco with little or no major modification required. Typically, you can get 3 of the 4 bolts / holes to line up 'as is'.
4Runner seats are one of the most commonly-cited transplants cited - especially at offroad sites such as YotaTech and Tacoma Territory. However, there are almost no substantial write-ups on the transplant process. The most you'll find is illustrated by this comment from a 2004 Taco XtraCab owner at YotaTech: I got seats out of a 94 or 95 SR5 4-Runner. All but the front inside bolts bolt right up. They are great.
In October 2004, the following write-up appeared in a pair of postings (by a 'Greavous') to the Tacoma Territory forum:
I have seats from a 98 limited 4runner and they fit perfectly. They are power and leather and also match the oak interior like they came in it in 2001. All of the Tacoma seats will swap into any Tacoma up to 2004. I have no idea what 05 does. My 01 60/40 bench was removed and bolted straight into a 96 tacoma. The only Mod that had to be done to the runner seats is the front outer bracket on a runner is kinda horizontal and the Taco's is turned down almost 90 degrees. I taped off the paint to prevent damaging/chipping and tapped it over into place with a BFH. Elongate the hole in the bracket with a 1/2 drill bit and bolt it up. I also installed a console which used factory screws at the front and I used a block riser and some screws into the floor pan to secure the rear.
Here's a pic but I get these things dicked up from time to time. Hope it works. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cmscow...&.dnm=ee17.jpg ...
Well after I posted I recalled a couple things. First and most important is the seat belts. I found that the latches from the 98's didn't quite click like the originals and transplanted the originals onto the runner seats. When my bench went into the 96 the same issue arose. The latches just bolt up but if you have the 01 bench with a folding armrest you have to dig a little to get to them. No biggie but you need to know about it.
Second thing was wiring the seats. I used a battery charger and was able to power the seats up on my workbench and determine what needed to get the 12 v. and ground. The ground I ran to the closest seat mounting bolt. And the 12+ came from an add-a-fuse dooie I got at the Zone. It simply replaces one of the fuses and has 2 fuse ports (one for the original and one for the new) and a pigtail hanging off it.
There won't be an armrest with the seats so a console is also needed in my book.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #56
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if this was already mentioned here but Streetsurfz727 on TW posted pics in detail on how he retrofitted a pair of 3rd gen leather 4runner seats into his older (<01) 1st gen taco but with a few complications. I thought I would mention this as reference for this thread. Here's the thread.

Now I'm a bit curious if the bracket patterns are different or the same between the early 1st gen tacos (<01) vs the latter (>01 to 04)?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #57
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
you mind taking a pic of them leaning forward?
sorry, said I would...
but life got a lil' busy and forgot.

XB driver's seat fully forward...
* note the slight difference of opening size
to that of the next picture (pass.) - (cont. -->)

XB passenger seat fully forward...
* it used to slide slightly more forward then in this pic...
but I adjusted the seat rails some since. (cont. -->)

Showing relation of the farthest rearward position of each seat...
* The passenger side was adjusted by relocating each slide rail's stops and can be slid more rearward then the driver's side.
(this reduces forward movement of the pass. side slightly)

Optionally both seats could be adjusted the same...
But was not necessary for my needs.

better late, then never !?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #58

That's the only problem with my seats. Can really move them forward enough to access the back.

My daughter and her friends have no problem getting in there (6 years old) but I can't even comfortably reach in without my shoulders getting stuck and whatnot.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #59
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
That's the only problem with my seats. Can really move them forward enough to access the back.

My daughter and her friends have no problem getting in there (6 years old) but I can't even comfortably reach in without my shoulders getting stuck and whatnot.
maybe yer just too fat and old !? jk
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
maybe yer just too fat and old !? jk
I definitely am, no doubt. But it's still too small a space