Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3rd Gen 4Runner vs. 1st Gen Taco

Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
GentryGoon is on a distinguished road

Name: Gentry
GentryGoon's Tacoma Gallery
3rd Gen 4Runner vs. 1st Gen Taco

Just looking for a bit of advice on what direction I should go with my rig.

As, you can see I own an awesome (mostly)stock 03 TRD PreRunner with 83k miles. I love the truck and enjoy improving it anyway I can. I really want to build it up into a capable offroad rig, but I just honestly can't afford to build it up QUICKLY. It will probably be the end of the coming summer by the time I get the 4x4 conversion knocked out. And then the armor and suspension would take a couple years to get added, me being a poor college student.

Hopefully you guys won't call me a traitor, but I was looking on Craigslist and found a really clean 2001 runner that's ready to wheel (front bumper, winch, sliders, 33s) and its very clean. He only wants 10k for it, which is a few thousand below what I think I can sell my taco for, which would help out my bank account greatly. The only downside is it doesn't have a rear locker like my PreRunner already does.

Should I pull the trigger and let my taco go if I get a good offer for it? Or patiently wait and build my taco slowly over the next few years? I love the way both of the Toyotas look, I'm just eager to get out on the trails.

Thanks guys, hope you're all having a great turkey day!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
bishard is on a distinguished road
bishard's Tacoma Gallery
Sell the 2wd and grab the 4runner IMO. I reckon a 4x4 4runner is a truck and a trd prerunner is an el camino with higher ground clearance. I've got an 2000 sr5 prerunner and a 97 man. 2.7l 4x 4runner. I love both but the runner is more of a truck it just can't carry mulch.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Nice, you've got the best of both worlds man! haha I'm hoping my truck will sell but I'm pricing it pretty high, and I'm firm on it.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
04Tacomabuild is on a distinguished road

Name: Reese
04Tacomabuild's Tacoma Gallery
Go for the 4 runner if you can. But keep us updated
Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

Yeah hopefully he didn't wheel it too hard. It will be nice getting all the goodies off the bat, but you never know where its been haha
Old 11-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Tacomabuild View Post
Go for the 4 runner if you can. But keep us updated
Will do! and I remember lurkin through your build awhile back, I like your rig man!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Just depends if you need the truck bed or not. I love my 2000 4runner and they are super comfortable. Plus the 2001 has multi-mode, which allows you to have AWD. I say check it out and see if it is in good shape. Here is a thread that can help out a lot. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ers-guide.html
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
Just depends if you need the truck bed or not. I love my 2000 4runner and they are super comfortable. Plus the 2001 has multi-mode, which allows you to have AWD. I say check it out and see if it is in good shape. Here is a thread that can help out a lot. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ers-guide.html
Yeah I've been checkin that site out a lot, it's great! And the only thing I use the bed for is my dirt bike. so I guess I'll just have to pick up a trailer, to use for a while..
and the AWD has to do with the center locker right?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah the center diff lock changes it from AWD to 4wd. It would be with it in Colorado. I love the 1st gen DC but 2wd will only get you so far. No rear diff lock shouldn't be a deal breaker either. You can retrofit one in a lot easier than converting to 4wd like you'd have to on you Tacoma. What type of lift does the 4runner have?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
Yeah the center diff lock changes it from AWD to 4wd. It would be with it in Colorado. I love the 1st gen DC but 2wd will only get you so far. No rear diff lock shouldn't be a deal breaker either. You can retrofit one in a lot easier than converting to 4wd like you'd have to on you Tacoma. What type of lift does the 4runner have?
http://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/3349874511.html
I really like the way he's built it
Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
looks nice
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #13

randomly came across a picture of it on a build thread I was checkin out, haha small world
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...thread-16.html
post #239

and the original guy's build is plain BADASS
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
it indeed is gentry
Old 11-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #15
04Tacomabuild is on a distinguished road

Name: Reese
04Tacomabuild's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentryGoon View Post
Will do! and I remember lurkin through your build awhile back, I like your rig man!
Thanks a lot! Just checked out the runner... It's so nice! I say go for it. I think it'll be worth it, loading the bike on a trailer wouldn't be much work (not sure how much you get out on it) and I think you'd enjoy that Beauty! I know I would.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #16
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
If you don't have much use for the bed of a truck I would go with a 4Runner in a heartbeat. I really miss the 00 Sport we used to have. Around here 4Runner's are far cheaper than similar Tacoma's too. If I didn't actually need a truck bed I would have bought another one. Stock for stock I think they are actually better off road too. More traction with the coil spring rear that actually have some weight over them. Shorter wheelbase too.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
haddix will become famous soon enoughhaddix will become famous soon enough

haddix's Tacoma Gallery
It has been for sale for a while now. Looks nice.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...hlight=4runner

4runners are awesome vehicles. I used to have one and loved every minute of it but I like my dcab tacoma a little more. If I were in your shoes though with the ext cab prerunner Id take the 4runner in a heartbeat.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddix View Post
It has been for sale for a while now. Looks nice.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...hlight=4runner

4runners are awesome vehicles. I used to have one and loved every minute of it but I like my dcab tacoma a little more. If I were in your shoes though with the ext cab prerunner Id take the 4runner in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the link! Man, now I want this rig even more! It's awesome seeing it in action, and you can tell he's an honest guy.
Fingers crossed someone will purchase my prerunner soon.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
4runner Troll

I've seen that 4runner on the forum a bit. Looks like a decent deal. A little bit on the higher side, but that is Colorado for you and it's super clean. Sucks you're trying to sell the Tacoma right before winter. Probably a bit harder since people want 4wd, but I'm sure it will sell. Good luck and hopefully we'll see you on T4R soon!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #20
68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
68dave's Tacoma Gallery
I love my runner. I bought a utility trailer with a ramp gate to haul my atv's and it's alot easier loading/unloading onto a trailer compared to a p/u. That is a NICE lookin' runner, hope it works out for you.