1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

understanding the works of the rack?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by oneidapj, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Nov 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    oneidapj

oneidapj [OP] New Member

Member:
    West Coast Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4
    My '04 tacoma 4x4 has 185,400 kms (111,200 miles) with lots of light 4x4ing and bush driving. (hunting and camping stuff)

For awhile, I have had problems with wandering on the highway, especially in truck ruts and the wind. And rattling in the front end at low speed on 4" +or- rocks or similar. This year out hunting it has gotten worse, so I stuck my head out the door window and looked at the front wheel, it was wobbling back and forth as I drove over the rocks. Now I figure it's time to check it out before I get stranded way out somewhere. Tonight I lifted the front end off the ground and did some checking.

All seems good except, of course, the rack bushings are quite bad. And the rack seems to be toast. On further inspection I noticed different play, side to side, with each front wheel, passenger side seems normal- drivers side way more play than normal, as I saw out the window. I put the truck back down on the concrete, started it and checked the play with the steering wheel. Passenger side had good response, drivers side not--- steering wheel turns 4" before response from wheel.? The play is in the steering gear and no where else, it appears.

I can't find any schematics of the steering gear (rack and pinion) or anything on how it works. How can one side have way more slop than the other? I mean, 1 rack, 1 pinion. or not? please inlighten me.
    Am I correct in diagnoses of a toasted steering gear? Or is there some adjustment on the rack or pinion to tighten it up?
    Thanks for any help

2. Nov 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    oneidapj

oneidapj [OP] New Member

Member:
    West Coast Canada
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4
    Today I finally tracked down my mechanic freind... now I feel stupid. The problem is inner tie rod.

3. Nov 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    Atleast you found it man thats good. Ive had a noise in the front that just haunts me because I cant find it.

And welcome to TW :)

Products Discussed in

To Top