1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 problems engaging

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 00TRD4x4, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nov 24, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    00TRD4x4

00TRD4x4 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    KY
    Vehicle:
    rebuilt '00 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 5 speed TRD SR5
    K&N Cold Air Intake and filter, 3" body lift, 15" MT Sidebiters, 33/12.50 Cooper Discoverer st/t, Bushwacker wide fender flares, Brush guard, 2 hella lights, Cats gutted and cut out. Wish i had money for a SAS.
    Howdy all. So ever since i have had this truck it has given me the same trouble. when i want to use my 4x4, it takes a really long time to get it to go into 4x4 if it even will. i can switch to 4h and hit reverse and forward again, and drive around and it never acts like it will go into 4h. i can switch to 4l, hit reverse and forward again and it never works on the first try. if i can get it into 4l it is by switching back and forth between 4l and n repeatedly, then trying reverse and forward again. usually it will finally go into 4x4 after about 5 minutes sitting there messing with it like that. i just got done changing both cv axles last night, and in the minute or two i spent with it it would not engage into 4x4, doing the same things as before the axles.. i was hoping switching them might help, but no luck. im not certain if it will still go into 4x4 or not as i was tired as hell and getting mad at it last night so i gave up. but im just wondering if there is some sort of actuator that has gone out or just what it could be.. any thoughts would be helpful.

truck is 00' 3.4 5 speed with 163k mi. when trying to engage 4x4 my method is to hit neutral while stopped, with clutch out usually, sometimes in, and then switch to 4l, then back to n and 4l repeatedly to get it to engage. my factory trd locker works just fine through this whole process also..

thanks for any input,
    Brian

2. Nov 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    Sittingbull2

Sittingbull2 Old N.R.A. Hippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Southeast texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab SR5 White
    3" Body lift, ARB Front Bumper w/9000 lb. Warn Winch, Chevy Alum. Rims w/ Kelly 285's M/S
    is it a manual locking hubs? is it a manual shift to go into 4 hi or 4 lo?

3. Nov 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    00TRD4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    KY
    Vehicle:
    K&N Cold Air Intake and filter, 3" body lift, 15" MT Sidebiters, 33/12.50 Cooper Discoverer st/t, Bushwacker wide fender flares, Brush guard, 2 hella lights, Cats gutted and cut out. Wish i had money for a SAS.
    sorry bout that, forgot to say it is auto locking hubs, shifter knob select.

tried again to get it into 4x4 earlier today, would not go in at all. finally picked up a haines manual today, going to check my actuator as soon as i get a chance.

4. Nov 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    Sittingbull2

Sittingbull2 Old N.R.A. Hippy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Southeast texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab SR5 White
    3" Body lift, ARB Front Bumper w/9000 lb. Warn Winch, Chevy Alum. Rims w/ Kelly 285's M/S
    you might have a Vaccum line hose down there on your actuator with a hole in it.

5. Nov 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    00TRD4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    KY
    Vehicle:
    hmm, ill keep a lookout when i get a chance to mess with it again, hopefully do something with it tomorrow. thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top