1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! Problem installing Wheelers front brake lines

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cmf21, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nov 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    cmf21

cmf21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 dbl cab trd
    I got a big problem. I'm trying to connect the new front brake lines from Wheelers on the drivers side to the solid line. The problem that I'm having is the new line has a two piece end, not a solid piece like the old line has. When I try to tighten up the screw on the solid line to the new line, the connection starts to get's tight and starts rotating the new line / connection around as well as the clip. I can't tighten it up anymore without it spinning the new line around and I can't unscrew the connection because I think it might be stripped. It was a pain in the behind trying to get the screw started.

Am I doing anything wrong? Any tips? I think I'm screwed. Anyone?

2. Nov 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Sounds like you probably stripped it if it was hard to get going. If you think it is stripped dont run that line.

3. Nov 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    Can you post some pictures?
    I put the Wheelers lines on my 1st gen earlier this year, I remember having a hard time undoing the rubber hoses from the hard lines, and even replaced some hard lines. But installing the Wheelers was pretty easy and straight forward.
    I can take some pictures of the brake lines in the morning.

4. Nov 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Your doing something wrong. The Wheeler's line ends are exactly identical to the stock line's and should go on just fine. Pics would help.

5. Nov 24, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    cmf21

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 dbl cab trd
    It got dark and I couldn't mess with it any longer. It started screwing in fine and things started spinning like the connection and the stupid clip and then I couldn't unscrew what I did. I was trying to be careful and don't know if I stripped it or not. Before I gave up for the night, I was able to get a pair of vise grips on the side with the clip and screw. I'm going to try unscrewing things in the morning and see what's going on. If I can't get it loose, I might try unscrewing the other end of the hard line and fish the whole thing out the hole where the clip is and mess with it off the truck.

I don't think it's tight yet since the new line just flops around from not making contact with the screw. When I look at the screw it looks like it could be screwed in alot more then what it is but I'm not going to even try it.

If the hard line is stripped, would the dealer have that part in stock or can I just go into an autopart store a find something that would work as a hard line?

P10009731111_5847d7ea280e9ba07c593f0ddb6967b865b9362b.jpg

6. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    When i first looked at this picture i was tryingto figure out what the red fluid that was flowing out was. Lol

7. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    When tightening the line you have to use 2 wrenches one on the hard line and the other on the new line.

8. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    cmf21

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 dbl cab trd
    on the new line, there isn't anything to grab onto. that piece of metal isn't thick enough to get anything on. on the old factory line, you could get some pliers on it but not this one.

9. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Hmmm that makes it hard to tighten it since it is a compression fitting. If the hard metal line is jacked you should be able to find anoth are any parts store.

10. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    cmf21

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 dbl cab trd

I'm going to see if I can unscrew things in the morning and take a closer look. If I have to I'll unscrew the other end of the hard line and take the line out and try screwing the new line and hard line back together and then try putting the assembled piece back in unless the screw on the other end of the hard line gives me fits.

11. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Becareful.

12. Nov 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    If the brake fittings were hard to engage, that may very well be stripped. Hopefully it may be the hardline that took the worst of it and they are cheap at the auto parts store. There are quite a variety of them though, ours is a metric double flare. I'm posting a picture of a spare that I carry. I'd also get a flare nut wrench to fit the new line, a 10mm if I recall.

Hard brake line:
    [​IMG]

Bracket detail:
    [​IMG]

13. Nov 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    cmf21

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 dbl cab trd
    Got everything finished. I went back out this morning and was able to get the screw loose. I played with it a little more and was able to get a good connection. I then went to the passanger side only to discover the rubber piece on the middle of the brake line was in the wrong spot. After some trial and error, I was able to work some silicone in between the rubber and the red part of the hose and moved it to the correct spot. Back line wasn't too bad execpt I had to use a really little wrench to get that screw loose. Bleed the brakes and now get to test it. It's really that that hard of a job except when little things come up.

Products Discussed in

To Top