Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

battery recommendation?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
allian04 is on a distinguished road
allian04's Tacoma Gallery
battery recommendation?

i have the oppurtunity to purchase an optima battery at a discounted price and was what would be the best for my setup.
i currently have a 2003 trd tacoma with an viair onboard air system but am looking to get a winch and two hella ralleye 1000 lights
Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
After researching the hell out of this myself... I went with a Sears Die Hard Platinum.

I heard too many stories of inconsistency to go with a Yellow Top and just couldn't pull the trigger on it for its price and limited warranty.

I went with the Sears brand because apparently the platinum series is still made by Johnson. It's a deep cycle battery and has that glass mat technology too. But it was the 48 month free replacement and 100 month pro rated warranty that triggered my decision to buy it.

I feel like all batteries are hit or miss so the warranty was important to me.

And son of a bitch... they're on sale right now for $197. I paid $238.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
allian04 is on a distinguished road
allian04's Tacoma Gallery
i can get 40% off on an optima right now so that is why im going with one just need to figure out what series
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you can get 40% off and are set on Optima, then get a yellow top
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
single battery ?

grp 31 YT (heavy/big)

but the best choice for a single battery
if yer planning to use it for winching
or heavy loads.

I run dual 34/78 YT's
best performance to weight/size ratio IMO

only issue with the YT's...
they don't have the correct terminal placement
for the Tacoma...
so... the fitment, tho' minor, requires some altercations.

Optima makes a 34 redtop with reverse terminals
that are correct for the Tacoma...
Had one... but I wouldn't buy another.

The redtops are ok for a dd and as a system battery...
but I wouldn't recommend those for winching or heavy loads.

The redtop does not like to be drained too low...
in fact if it goes below 10.4 volts...
you will likely need to do a recovery charge method to save it.
^ but that's no guarantee it will save it.

For Optima... stick with the Yellow Top
Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
After researching the hell out of this myself... I went with a Sears Die Hard Platinum.

I heard too many stories of inconsistency to go with a Yellow Top and just couldn't pull the trigger on it for its price and limited warranty.

I went with the Sears brand because apparently the platinum series is still made by Johnson. It's a deep cycle battery and has that glass mat technology too. But it was the 48 month free replacement and 100 month pro rated warranty that triggered my decision to buy it.

I feel like all batteries are hit or miss so the warranty was important to me.

And son of a bitch... they're on sale right now for $197. I paid $238.
im looking into on buying a die hard platinum... what;s the group size on urs?
do you have TRD? thx
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
im looking into on buying a die hard platinum... what;s the group size on urs?
do you have TRD? thx
I believe it was a 35. I'll have to go check the receipt.

Yes, it's a TRD.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

my battery is over 4 yrs old... I think its time for a change soon. I saw that sear is having a sale on the battery... Im going to ask for some money for the battery this chrstmas... I also think sear charges $13 to put it on??
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
my battery is over 4 yrs old... I think its time for a change soon. I saw that sear is having a sale on the battery... Im going to ask for some money for the battery this chrstmas... I also think sear charges $13 to put it on??
They're on sale for $45 less than what I just paid a month ago

And bring a 10mm wrench or socket (for your terminal connections) and a 12mm(?) (for your hold down) change it yourself in their parking lot.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:

And bring a 10mm wrench or socket (for your terminal connections) and a 12mm(?) (for your hold down) change it yourself in their parking lot.
i really dont think i want to change anything myself when the temp outside is in the 30's... hehe
Old 11-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
i really dont think i want to change anything myself when the temp outside is in the 30's... hehe
it takes about 2 minutes tops.

but I hear ya.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Don't you need a different hold down rod though?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Don't you need a different hold down rod though?
I only did because I went full ruhtard (don't ask)

The diehard platinum will fit fine under the stock hold down set up.

I'm pretty sure you need a longer rod for the yellow top
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced my 6 year old Red Top 34r with a DieHard Platinum 35. The only reason I didn't get another Red Top is because no one had them in stock. I'm very happy with the DieHard, though. Plus, it comes with a 4 year warranty. We'll see how long it lasts...
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #15
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
There are only a handful of battery manufacturers these days. The last 4 I've bought have been from the local Advance Auto parts. I had one go bad under warranty from my plow truck. But it's an electric plow and whenever I use it the blower is on high, wipers are going, lights are on, low RPM, original 50 amp alternator, etc. About the worst situation you can put a battery in. The replacement has been in it for 4 years.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
you don't need tie down rods, my truck came with a bungee cord!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
i've had a yellow top in my jeep for the last 4 years, i got it used from a friend, manufacture date was 06. just this weekend i left the electric fan on all night, came out and it still cranked.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
I just replaced my 6 year old Red Top 34r with a DieHard Platinum 35. The only reason I didn't get another Red Top is because no one had them in stock. I'm very happy with the DieHard, though. Plus, it comes with a 4 year warranty. We'll see how long it lasts...
I guess die hard group 35 works ok?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Sears vs optima....not sure what to go with. Hard to find a sears around here. Hard to find optima too lol. I do a lot of winching and use the batteries a lot. Optima yellow sounds what I need. I'm worried about the questionable quality.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess die hard group 35 works ok?
So far, yeah. Only had the battery for four days...

One thing I did notice is that my lights don't dim anymore with loud bass. I always had a slight dim with the Optima, even when it was brand new.