1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you need from a 5/8" U-bolt? Product developpement!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Dick4x4, Nov 26, 2012.

?

About that U-bolt thing:

1. I'm interested to buy some if the price is right.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 5/8" U-bolt are just too big.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nov 26, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    Dick4x4

Dick4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto
    Hi folks,

I'm currently working on a new suspension componenent for the rear of my truck and eventually to offer it to everyone (soon to come). I have the chance to have a shop here that is pretty competent on thread and bolts things and they can custom made U-bolt.

At first I began with the project to make some 9/16" U-bolt as they were about the "standard" but endend with the possibility to have the 5/8" for about the same price.

They won't be sh*t, 5/8" diameter probably fine pitch made of special purpose Cro-Moly alloy... Only one of them could probably hold something like 20 trucks off the ground. Maybe it's overkill but I know there is a tendency to go for the stronger is better and also because some are hardcore users of their truck.

So I'm writing this as a poll to know if some of you could be interested to buy if they are at a good price. At the end I have a better price if I order some quantity.

Also, fell free to tell me what whould be the perfect lenght U-bolt for you. It's time to ask, they're gonna be custom made for our need, therefore, I'd prefer to have only one model at the end. Also, I'm gonna use the same u-bolt for my suspension components.

Thanks a lot folks!

2. Nov 26, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    Dick4x4

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto
    If you want to refer to specific lenght size for "C" or "D".

C=Total inside lenght
    D=Thread lenght

[​IMG]

3. Nov 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    IMO the off-the-shelf U-bolts are strong enough if torqued properly. U-bolt length is also dependent on the leaf pack / AAL chosen, so each user will need a different length. That why most U-bolts are sold long, then cut down to suit individual application. That's why I'd rather buy U-bolts readily available off the shelf than custom-made.

What kind of protective finish are you planning for your U-bolts? Cadmium plate? Zinc? Black oxide, for example, wouldn't last long against road salt. Corrosion can easily reduce the breaking strength by half or even 2/3.

4. Nov 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Dick4x4

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto
    Thanks for your reply, by the way, I updated my title, they will gonna be made for flip kit, not as a direct replacement part.

There is no coating that are gonna be made. Some of the coating process affect surface hardess and make the U-bolt brittle. The final alloy will be choose to ensure it to be rust resistant enough for road salt.

Products Discussed in

To Top