Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Electrical System Dead? Won't start.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
zx5rider is on a distinguished road
Navy:
zx5rider's Tacoma Gallery
Electrical System Dead? Won't start.

I have a '96 2.4L. For the last week the battery light has been coming on at higher RPMs so I decided to investigate.

While the truck was running I unplugged the battery and it stayed running. So then I brought the rpms up until the battery light would come on and at the same time both head lights blew out and just about every fuse blew. I replaced all that a saw under the hood and under the dash but it just cranks and cranks. Also the check engine light doesn't show up at all and I don't here the fuel pump.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
It's bad news to disconnect the battery while it's running. It is a different story on old, non-computerized vehicles.

It was probably just a slipping alternator belt that caused the batt. light to come on at high rpm.

It's hard to say why it won't start now, but check for fuel and spark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post
I have a '96 2.4L. For the last week the battery light has been coming on at higher RPMs so I decided to investigate.

While the truck was running I unplugged the battery and it stayed running. So then I brought the rpms up until the battery light would come on and at the same time both head lights blew out and just about every fuse blew. I replaced all that a saw under the hood and under the dash but it just cranks and cranks. Also the check engine light doesn't show up at all and I don't here the fuel pump.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking maybe the voltage regulator was having issues with high voltages by higher rpms and thus throwed a battery light. Not a 100% though.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Navy:
That's what I assumed but what do I do now?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
the voltage regulator is built into the alternator. still doesnt solve your no start problem
Old 11-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
1st-KEEP IT SIMPLE-check both battery connections-Clean BOTH posts and cable connections.
Next suspect is belt or alt.
Any squeal at the high RPMS?
Check fuses with a METER--sometimes they appear good.
Keep us posted!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ADDED note--Negative battery connection is my guess as the FIRST suspect. check it to engine as well as to the battery.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
Navy:
Ok so it kept blowing the 10 amp fuse in the under the dash that said IGN so i said ill put in a 30 and hope for the best. Well it worked. I went back down to 10 and is still works i dont have a 7.5.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #9

alt light

Did that also fix the alt light problem?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like it's time for a new alternator. At higher rpms the internal regulator is probably operating out of range which would trigger the light in the gauge cluster.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
A "battery" light is an indication of a major difference between the battery voltage and the alternator voltage. A battery, aside from providing power to start the engine and power when the electrical load exceeds the charging system output, acts as a electrolytic capacitor to stabilize or filter to the pulsating DC voltage produced by the alternator. Disconnecting a battery while the engine is running could destroy the sensitive electronic components connected to the electrical system such as the emission computer, radio, audio system, cell phone, alarm system, etc., or the charging system because the peak voltage can rise to 40 volts or more. Prior to 1980, removing a battery terminal was an accepted practice to test charging systems of that era. That is not the case today.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #12

Good info!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
I was thinking maybe the voltage regulator was having issues with high voltages by higher rpms and thus throwed a battery light. Not a 100% though.
X2