1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Diff drop do it or not

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kperatt, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Nov 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    kperatt

kperatt [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaylor
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD
    3" OME, Trail Gear Front bumper, XRC8 winch, skidrow skids, sliders, cb, 33"
    I have a 99 with a 3" lift in the front(only did about 2.75' though) and im curious what you guys think about doing the diff drop. Ive heard i should do it for sure, but ive also heard that doing it can screw more stuff up and to not it. So im stuck on what i should do. Let me know what you think!

2. Nov 27, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    you don’t need it for a 3” lift. if you had more than 3” of lift than yes you would need it. that goes for 1st and 2nd gen.

3. Nov 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    Look at your cv angle is all I'll say, I might run one when I someday get new coils (might)

4. Nov 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    ^ That. But I would put one on anyway. Im only at 2.5 in the front and i have a diff drop

5. Nov 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    I think he heard how it can better cv angle but affect drive shaft angle.

6. Nov 28, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    kperatt

kperatt [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaylor
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD
    3" OME, Trail Gear Front bumper, XRC8 winch, skidrow skids, sliders, cb, 33"
    thats exactly what ive heard, my mechanic told me it screws up the front drive shaft angles. So i dont know if its worth doing it, if its gonna make that wear faster. I can post pictures of my cv's if need be. I really am stuck on the fence here

7. Nov 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    Dcpsychobilly

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    I heard that also, most people dont think about it. pictures could help judge if you need one, but you can only see so much in a picture. How does the angle actually look to you? Ive seen people that say you have to install one and others that say its pointless. It does not actually drop the front diff it kind of rotates it which in return changes the drive shaft angle. But go ahead post a picture man lets see

Edit: just noticed your from co lol welcome, I been wanting to go over to golden for a visit lol

Products Discussed in

To Top