Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pre-Runner, can I lift it higher?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
pschmidt is on a distinguished road
pschmidt's Tacoma Gallery
Pre-Runner, can I lift it higher?

I have the Toytec/Eibach 3in lift in the front on Bilsteins, and the Toytec AAL in the rear with Bilsteins. Most threads I've read state 3" is the max you should lift, but does that apply to the Pre-Runner or just the 4X4?

I'm not entirely sure what is the limiting factor here, is it CV angle in the front?

If I was to lift the truck higher, the front is easy, but how about the rear? Blocks? Shackles?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
mtwil9 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mtwil9's Tacoma Gallery
Since you have a pre runner you dont have cv joints in the front. You could do some spindles in the front with that being said with a new leaf pack in the rear.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Sorry, should have clarified. Is the total lift amount dictated by the CV axle on the 4X4, which obvioulsy doesn't apply to my truck since it's 2WD?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
dirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the sheddirtymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
dirtymike's Tacoma Gallery
Its dictated by the upper and lower ball joints they can only cycle so much. They are the real limiting factor if you jack your truck up take the coil over out you can only move the. Spindles so far up and down
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymike View Post
Its dictated by the upper and lower ball joints they can only cycle so much. They are the real limiting factor if you jack your truck up take the coil over out you can only move the. Spindles so far up and down

this. Your still limited. But you have the option of being able to sit at 4'' of lift with no problems. But it won't cycle any better then ours reall due to the joints.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Thanks for the info.

If I wanted to get another inch out of my existing hardware, is it as simple as raising the spring perch on the front Bilsteins? In the rear a set of 1.5" shackles would work, correct?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
4 inch spindle with 3 inch bilstein. Super high!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
In the front I have Eibach/Toytech. The rear is stock leaf pack, with a 2" AAL.

Sorry for the rookie questions, this is the first vehicle I've lifted, the rest have all been lowered.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Keep the angle of the u-joints on the drive shaft in mind....and carrier bearing vibes if not reg cab or using aftermarket single piece drive shaft. Not sure how much shim angle you can add to make up for it on the leafs either.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
I will definitely keep that in mind. So far, so good with a little under 3" all around.

My thoughts are to try running the Bilsteins one setting higher, and add a 1" shackle in the rear. Is there any reason why that shouldn't work?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Don't see why not. AAL or the shackle thing would be preferable out back due to the sensitivity to axle wrap on these trucks, especially with manual tranny. With the oem rake you could probably do 5100s set at 1.75 up front with the 1" shackle out back and still have 1.75 of rake because both of my 2nd gens had 2.5 higher in the rear. I just like the AAL option because of the weak 3 leaf packs. When I did 2.5 up front with 1.5 AAL out back on the 05 access cab, I still was 1.5 higher rr but the truck looked perfectly level. On the 08 reg cab I just did TRD bilsteins with .5 top plate spacers up front to get 1" lift and did nothing out back and it has 1.75 rake higher in back. Just barely noticeable more wheel gap in rr. Didn't want to lift as much this time and had the TRDs in the attic to replace the base tokicos with since I didn't use them on the 05. I will most likely get 5100s again because the ride quality improvement at some point. My 05 lifted more with 5100s and E load 18s rode better than the 08 with TRDs and C load 16s does.