1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's it Worth???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hawaiian05, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Nov 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    Hawaiian05

Hawaiian05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR 6mt/ 2002 4Runner Sport
    I'm trying to help my cousin make the best educated decision, whether it be sell his truck with engine problems, or have a rebuilt eng installed, then sell it. He is not mechanically inclined, therefore, is paying for all services/ repairs.

The truck is a '96 Tacoma/ reg cab/ 4x4 w/manual hubs/ 5 speed.. He only purchased it a few months ago, and isnt' the best at looking over vehicles.. Started noticing little issues once he bought it, but nothing crazy.. Since then, he's noticed metal shavings in the oil, and even after numerous oil changes, still sees shavings in the oil.. As of a couple of days ago, engine started making a somewhat loud/noticable knock or tapping noise, and has had very rough idling at times.. He's pretty fed up and since he's not mechanically inclined, he just wants to cut his losses.

Tryna figure out what he should post it for on the classifieds. He purchased it for $3800, but that was when it was running w/o problems/ minimal problems. The vehicle is in fair condition, so he states. Has roughly 165k miles and is located in Denver/Boulder, CO area.

Any ideas what he should have as a starting price? Again, if he cant get a decent offer, he'll have to pay to have a rebuilt eng installed, then sell the truck from there.

THANKS!!

LoganTacoma.jpg

2. Nov 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    fouillard13

fouillard13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Canadia
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 4x4
    nice truck. You can buy used motors from $500 to $1000. I would ask $4000 with the motor damage and see if he gets any bites. I know people in Hawaii are crazy for tacomas.

3. Nov 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Can't hurt to post an ad at around $3500-38 and see if there's any interest. Unless he wants it gone tomorrow...

4. Nov 30, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    We've actually looked into motors in his area (Denver/Boulder, CO) and they are few and far in between.. This is actually this first motor he's even found, and it's been roughly 2 months of calling shops and junk yards. I figure mid-$3k would be a good start, at least to fish for offers..

5. Nov 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    I'd opt to rebuild and keep or sell. Really I'd keep it and make it my DD.

You could check farther than the area he's in and have the engine sent in. A local school shop class may do the swap for a project if he's not in a huge hurry.

6. Nov 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:

I agree, and if it was my truck, I'd keep it as well. But I think he's starting to just get fed up with it, especially since he doesn't work on it himself. As for his time frame, he's going to be moving soon, along with driving 60+ miles a day, so I think it's just adding more stress for him.

I've looked locally around Boise, ID (where I currently am) and found a few engines, but the cost of shipping was to expensive or the situation didn't work out. I'm actually pretty surprised how hard these engines are to come across in Denver, which is a pretty populated city.

Products Discussed in

To Top