1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need rear brake help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by coldsmoke, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Nov 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    coldsmoke

coldsmoke [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I have a 2003 tacoma 4x4 xtracab and I've been having problems with my rear brakes slowly starting to lock up on me (after a few miles of driving and using the brakes). I popped the drums and found one of the wheel cylinders leaking, so I replaced it and redid the rear brakes shoes.

I thought this might fix the problem, but it's still there. Drove the truck after doing the fixes and the rear wheels locked up again after a few miles of driving and breaking.

I'm going to pop the drums again and check the star adjuster and parking brake cable/assembly. I checked them before putting the drum on last time and everything seems ok.

Any ideas of what the issue might be? Master cylinder? Brake lines? Proportioning valve? It seems like they are fine when the brakes are cold, but once it heats up the brakes lock on. Maybe somehow the brake fluid isn't getting out the wheel cylinder. Not sure where else to look........

2. Nov 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  3. Dec 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    good question week return springs blocked line somewhere possible master cylinder

4. Dec 1, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Is your truck lifted? Not that it maybe the problem but if it is you need a BPV bracket.

5. Nov 16, 2013 at 1:44 AM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    break proportioning valve probems is my guess. could the linkage be bent maybe after wheeling in deep mud or something,but bending it would make it think you have a large load on your truck making rear brakes work less, but it depends on how its bent.Im interested in what fixes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top