Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need rear brake help!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
coldsmoke is on a distinguished road
coldsmoke's Tacoma Gallery
Need rear brake help!

I have a 2003 tacoma 4x4 xtracab and I've been having problems with my rear brakes slowly starting to lock up on me (after a few miles of driving and using the brakes). I popped the drums and found one of the wheel cylinders leaking, so I replaced it and redid the rear brakes shoes.

I thought this might fix the problem, but it's still there. Drove the truck after doing the fixes and the rear wheels locked up again after a few miles of driving and breaking.

I'm going to pop the drums again and check the star adjuster and parking brake cable/assembly. I checked them before putting the drum on last time and everything seems ok.

Any ideas of what the issue might be? Master cylinder? Brake lines? Proportioning valve? It seems like they are fine when the brakes are cold, but once it heats up the brakes lock on. Maybe somehow the brake fluid isn't getting out the wheel cylinder. Not sure where else to look........
Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...j8NoYm3lb_Vyhg
Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #4
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Is your truck lifted? Not that it maybe the problem but if it is you need a BPV bracket.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
diesel mechanic
lunch box is on a distinguished road

lunch box's Tacoma Gallery
break proportioning valve probems is my guess. could the linkage be bent maybe after wheeling in deep mud or something,but bending it would make it think you have a large load on your truck making rear brakes work less, but it depends on how its bent.Im interested in what fixes this.