Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cat removal

Old 12-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Twilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud of
Name: Thomas
Twilson24's Tacoma Gallery
Cat removal

I have a 1996 Tacoma with a 4cylinder Motor. My cat is bad and was wondering if I just cut the out if it will still run. I don't really feel like spending a 100$ right now to replace it. Please let me know if this a possible solution,
Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Why remove it? Is it affecting how it runs?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Twilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud ofTwilson24 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Why remove it? Is it affecting how it runs?
It sounds terrible and it has a hole it in.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Since it has to do with emissions, if you are cutting the cat (which is before the exhaust) the engine is going to run different because the computer is going to read wrong.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilson24 View Post
I have a 1996 Tacoma with a 4cylinder Motor. My cat is bad and was wondering if I just cut the out if it will still run. I don't really feel like spending a 100$ right now to replace it. Please let me know if this a possible solution,
$100 for a Cat is a smoking deal. Just fork out the cash man. That's part of owning a vehicle is dumping money into it on things you don't want to dump money into. Nature of the beast.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Here is the one I've found
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...a/model/tacoma
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, it is a possible solution. I am running no cats and my truck runs just fine. You will definitely have a CEL light unless you get an O2 simulator that turns that code off. The code that the truck will throw will not affect the performance of your vehicle, because what the sensors monitor will not throw your vehicle into a limp mode or anything like that. The main thing to worry about is if you have smog testing and stuff like that where you live.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Yes, it is a possible solution. I am running no cats and my truck runs just fine. You will definitely have a CEL light unless you get an O2 simulator that turns that code off. The code that the truck will throw will not affect the performance of your vehicle, because what the sensors monitor will not throw your vehicle into a limp mode or anything like that. The main thing to worry about is if you have smog testing and stuff like that where you live.
I don't have smog testing where I live. So if I cut the cat out it will run just fine?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I don't have smog testing where I live. So if I cut the cat out it will run just fine?
Yes. the truck will not run any different. Be a little louder maybe... Outside of having a CEL all the time the truck will run fine
Old 12-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #10

Memario.....just wondering....The computer won't try to adjust to what the CEL is saying is off or lacking and make the truck run a little bit off? I was playing around with my programmer one time and tried to see what would happen if I changed it as there were no exhaust to see what would happen. It ran a little rough. Maybe it's different with a Taco? Not trying to be challenging, I'm trying to learn please.

Please forgive me for giving wrong info if I did, I was talking through experience with a muscle car..
Old 12-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Memario.....just wondering....The computer won't try to adjust to what the CEL is saying is off or lacking and make the truck run a little bit off? I was playing around with my programmer one time and tried to see what would happen if I changed it as there were no exhaust to see what would happen. It ran a little rough. Maybe it's different with a Taco? Not trying to be challenging, I'm trying to learn please.

Please forgive me for giving wrong info if I did, I was talking through experience with a muscle car..
Hey baby

When you used your programmer and told the ECU that there was no exhaust, you were telling the ECU to try and compensate for the change in backpressure and exhaust scavenging properties. You were essentially force feeding your computer information which is what a programmer is meant for.

The O2 sensors in these trucks are simply monitors for the user. They are meant to notify you of possible issues such as a bad cat or an improper mixture. They throw a code that essentially says "hey look at me because there could be something wrong here." The information it is receiving is not what it is expecting. The PO420 and 430 codes are not considered imminently threatening to the engine so the ECU doesn't change anything when they show up. Hope that clears it up a bit...
Old 12-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #12

So all it's throwing is a code, it' won't try to compensate.

Ahh okay. I learned something new. I guess my assessment was right for my situation because it was a totally different thing although looking the same.

Thanks!