Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed

Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed

A couple of people asked so I thought I would post.
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-swap.jpg

Disclaimer, I'm not a mechanic nor did I know I was going to post, so my appologies on teminology and how detailed it is.

If you are looking for a box, I suggest searching car-parts.com as there are hundreds of boxes out there thanks to the rotting frames. All boxes for 1rst gens, fit 1rst gens, 1995.5 to 2004.

Mine was mint and I got it for 600 bucks!
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-new-box.jpgSwapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-insidebox.jpg

1. Take of tail lights, it's just a few screws and some clips.
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-clips-tail-lights.jpg
3. Take of "ears" of the stepside bumper, no worries a regular bumper awaits under there! I've got it taped here to not scratch the new box. (pic is with new box but you get the idea)
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-bumpertaped.jpg
4. Remove other extras like fender flares (they will fit the fleetside) and tailgate as it will be easier to deal with
5. Remove gas tank collar, it is different and you will need one with your new fleetside box.
6. Undo the six bolts that hold your box to your frame and take the box off. Note, stepside box is a lot heaview than the reg box.
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-6-bolt-areas.jpg
7. place the new box on the frame, alligne it up and bolt it down.
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-p8100017.jpg
8. Put tailgate, lights and gas tank collar back on.
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-almost.jpg
9. Put your extras back on, like the fender flairs.
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-trd-decals.jpg

While the box was off I took the opportunity to spray the inside of the wheel wells with bed liner, and I sprayed Krown, rust proof inhibitor, everywhere I could.
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-bedliner-wheel-wells.jpg

I also had to swap my mud flaps over and bought new trd decals as the doner box came from a 2wd.

I aslo did a roll in bed liner, herculiner and seems to be holding up well.

Done!
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-completefleetside.jpg

Hope this helps VanTaco?

Cheers,

D.C
Attached Thumbnails
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-donertailgate.jpg  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
nice! seems like a fairly straightforward process...

fleetside looks much, much better IMO
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #3

Thanks Dave,

It's a lot more practical, that's for sure!

Here's a before how she stands now.

Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-beforebedswap.jpgSwapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-after.jpg
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up and pictures!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
vantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nice
vantaco's Tacoma Gallery
awesome write up..so what's the deal with the bumper?? the end pieces just pop off? lol that's awesome
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
ak47dennis is on a distinguished road

Name: dennis
ak47dennis's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, when I got to step 6 I would have had to pressure the frame and paint.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
Auto thrasher
toysr5man is on a distinguished road

Name: Doug
toysr5man's Tacoma Gallery
my question is, how did you mount the flares on the 2 wheel drive box? i thought the boxes with flares had holes in them for mounting?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
We can't stop here, this is bat country.
dayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddayNnite4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
dayNnite4's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly didnt even kno they made tacomas in step side lol but fleet side looks a lot better! Nice write up!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #10

Thanks all,

Vantaco, the ends of the bumper just unbolt, and yep there's a regular bumper. I think I have a shot of it (trying to sell as TIPICO said). You can see them beside the tailgate.
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-dsc01410.jpg

Here you can tell where I took them off.
Swapping Stepside for Fleetside Bed-preswap.jpg
You can also notice here where the plastic cover of the bumper is too short, this is what you'll need to find. I got a whole brand new bumper from a yard, took the plastic part and am selling the rest of the bumper.

Dennis, believe it or not this is a brand new frame. It likely looks older because I had it undercoated, and I 4x4 alot so there is a tone of dirt stuck to the oil that is on the frame. Trust me it's nice and shinny black under there.

Toysr5man, The fender flares just screw into the holes that are already there in the wheel well for the plastic wheel well liner. On the stepsides, although they came out after 2001, they seem to use the smaller flares that the taco's previous to 2001 used. So I didn't have to deal with the bigger ones that need holes in the quarter pannel.

It was a fun project, I enjoyed it. I searched for quite a while though to find the right box.

Cheers,

DC
Old 07-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
5 lugger!
mrpatar is on a distinguished road
mrpatar's Tacoma Gallery
No offense but I looooove the step side bed look, I wish my truck had a step side bed!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #12
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Would you sell that step side bed? I think it would be cool as a trail trailer.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #13
<---this guy
jmaack is on a distinguished road
jmaack's Tacoma Gallery
Weird. I have never seen a step side before.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #14
xcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
xcmtb83's Tacoma Gallery
Man...I would have rocked the stepside. I can count on one hand how many stepsides I have seen in person. Congratulations though, your truck now looks like countless other silver first gens.

You should sell it to isu2014.