Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

shifting into 4wd help

Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
exwrx is on a distinguished road
exwrx's Tacoma Gallery
shifting into 4wd help

hi, asking for my dad. he has a 2002 tacoma ext cab trd automatic v6 4x4. we were out for a drive tonight and were trying to figure out the shift pattern. i believe the 4wd shifter has 4wd lo at the top, then neutral, the 4wd high at the bottom(closer to the back seat). there is a 4wd button on the shifter that acivates 4x4 (i think)... the gear shifter (p,r,n,d.3,2,1) has a over drive button on the side of it.

so was he doing it right? also what are safe speeds to enter 4x4 high and 4x4 low. thinking 60km/h for 4x4 high and 0 km/h for low in neutral.

thanks for the help!!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Entering and exiting 4WD should be done at a stop I believe. At least that's how the rear lockers are recommended to be activated.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
lmao how old are you and you guys dont have a manual inside the glove compartment or a fancy sticker somewhere on there? its an automatic so I wouldnt go over 15mph when I hit the button to engage 4high. i'd shift it down into 4 low at a stop though.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I shift into four high up to 50mph, but I think the manual says up to 55. For 4low I stop the truck and put the transmission into neutral before I put it in 4low.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
WiscTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Prior guardian of freedoms.
WiscTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Now if only there was snow to have some four wheel fun
Old 12-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
exwrx is on a distinguished road
exwrx's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info. seems simply enough just wanna make sure he does not do any damage to his truck.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
why shift on the go? doesnt seem like any advantage to shifting while moving instead you might screw something up. hell you used to have to get out to activate the damn things (some prefer it) so i would just stop. activate. go.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I shift on the go because I have to. The roads up here are constantly icy and sometimes I need 4wd if I'm going up an incline. I can't just stop in the middle of traffic and shift when it's perfectly normal to shift on the go...The user manual of our trucks even says you can do it up to 55 mph. The only reason you would mess anything up is if you were turning sharp and have the pedal to the floor while shifting into 4wd. If you let off the gas and keep the wheel straight you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
bishard is on a distinguished road
bishard's Tacoma Gallery
Love on the fly transfer. Just go charge the obstacle full boar without stopping. My 2.7 5 spd 4runner says shift in or out as long as below either 50 or 55 I cant remember.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
If it really matters...these transfer cases can handle being shifted into 4wd at over 50mph with a supercharger. Worked when I was drunk. Even did 4wd burn outs. i wouldnt worry about it...plus easy to find if it breaks.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
my manual says 35 for 4hi and thats in the case of emergency, ive done it while creeping maybe 10mph max? it falls right in, sometimes it goes in easier. my truck is a manual with twin stick transfer case. 4lo always stop cause it is geared so low. no need to use it really just if your wantin to creep around with good torque

Edit: normally you should put it into 4wd before you think your going to need it. these trucks are so light in the back, if your doubtin needing it. you will prolly need it. better safe than sorry.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
Even did 4wd burn outs.
pics or it didnt happen. haha
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALawrence View Post
pics or it didnt happen. haha
Dont worry...didnt happen.
With the negative reps from clowns on here being cry babies...I think i'll refrain from posting stupid stuff. If you look around I think theres vids still out there. All the pics I had crashed on my old computer. I had fun with the truck...maybe i'll dig out some shit later.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
Dont worry...didnt happen.
With the negative reps from clowns on here being cry babies...I think i'll refrain from posting stupid stuff. If you look around I think theres vids still out there. All the pics I had crashed on my old computer. I had fun with the truck...maybe i'll dig out some shit later.
just giving you hell man.