Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Headlight mod?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
Gear Head's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight mod?

I've got a 2000 trd and my headlights come on when the truck is running. Is there a mod or anyway that I can have them not on all the time? I want them to only come on when I turn the switch. In my 96 with the switch in the first position my dash, corners, and tails came on and when in the second position everything is on. I would like for my 2000 to work the same way if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
The light switch should turn them off. If the switch is left on then they will come on when you turn the key on and go off when you open the drivers door with the key off, at least that's how my 04 works.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post
The light switch should turn them off. If the switch is left on then they will come on when you turn the key on and go off when you open the drivers door with the key off, at least that's how my 04 works.
You would think that's how it should work. When I get in my truck to go somewhere, with the switch off, I crank it and the lights come on when I put it in drive. Again this is with the switch OFF. This makes no sense to me because I see the same model tacoma driving with their headlights off during the day. Also when I get to where I'm driving and put it in park the lights stay on until I turn the truck off.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
deanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant futuredeanbhula1 has a brilliant future

deanbhula1's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's the daytime running lights that are on. If they get brighter when u switch on the headlights then it is the day running lights. I cut the wire in my 2001 to turn it off. U may be able to remove the drl fuse...but u can search how to disable the drls...that's what I did
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanbhula1 View Post
I think it's the daytime running lights that are on. If they get brighter when u switch on the headlights then it is the day running lights. I cut the wire in my 2001 to turn it off. U may be able to remove the drl fuse...but u can search how to disable the drls...that's what I did
Thanks man! Wanted to search for them but didn't know how to type it in. If anyone else has the same problem check out this thread for help..
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...able-drls.html

I have not done it yet but will in a bit. The old lady is dragging me to some christmas party...
Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #6

Turns out on a 2000 tacoma the drl box is NOT in the cab and you don't have to cut anything. It's actually mounted in the engine bay on the ds fender. It's a small box that has a metal cage looking thing surrounding it. Just unplug this and done, no more drl's. Just got inside from doing mine.

Edit: Wish I would have figured this out before taking my new sig pic haha
Attached Thumbnails
Headlight mod?-imag0548.jpg   Headlight mod?-imag0547.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
ALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shedALawrence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Andrew
ALawrence's Tacoma Gallery
if you park it and pull the parking brake, when you turn it back on the DRL do not turn on. problem solved. you just cant put it in drive or their turn on
Old 12-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #8

Yeah well now they will never come on unless I hit the switch lol which is what I wanted.