1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory looking Tach install in 96 4cyl Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by interst8er, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    interst8er

interst8er [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Vehicle:
    Its red
    Header installed and the balance shafts removed. Bilstien front coil overs. Installed an instrument cluster from a 4cyl 4runner that had a factory tachometer. Polished Western Slot Mags. New cylinder head and new bearings and counter shaft in the trans.
    Hi all

I'm new with pics of my recent tachometer installation. Just thought of doing so because a factory tach for a 1996 4cyl Tacoma is hard to come by in my experience.

I got the instument cluster from a '96 2.7L 4 Runner. Yes, I said 4 Runner. I could'a installed just about any aftermarket tach with ease but I wanted a factory look. I had to use a 4 Runner because I couldn't find a cluster from a Tacoma of the same year as my truck on Ebay that had a tach for a 2.7L.

FirstI swapped my original cable speedometer in to the 4 Runner cluster that had a electronic speedo. Then I removed the upper mounting tabs from my Tacoma cluster to the 4 runner cluster. Finally I rewired all of the relavent circuts for my truck.

Oh yea. I found some chrome Toyota stickers to cover up the trip counter and reset hole. Also, I plastic welded the the Tacoma clear face to the 4 Runner cluster that originally had a hole for the trip reset button.

2012-12-09_12-52-10_793.jpg
    2012-12-09_09-31-56_42.jpg
    2012-12-09_13-57-08_479.jpg
    2012-12-09_13-57-38_190.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Dec 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Good job man :thumbsup: very clean

3. Dec 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    wj32796

wj32796 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Titusville,Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    Stocker
    Nice job! Were the electrical harness hook ups the same?
    Also, the speedometer swap, was the pretty easy, looks like you just had to cut out the hole a little bigger? I have wanted to do this to my 96 2.7, looks like it will be worth it.

4. Dec 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    interst8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Vehicle:
    Its red
    Header installed and the balance shafts removed. Bilstien front coil overs. Installed an instrument cluster from a 4cyl 4runner that had a factory tachometer. Polished Western Slot Mags. New cylinder head and new bearings and counter shaft in the trans.
    The harnesses are the same but most the pins were in a differnet location. I think only the grounds were the same.

For the speedo, I cut out the hole for the cable drive. Drilled 2 holes for the mounting and 2 holes for the sensor thats inside the speedo. There was some grinding so that the face of the speedo sits down squarely on the locators. Dont screw the speedo down too tight so not warp the speedo itself otherwise you can make a pad the speedo sit on out of bondo. (If you use Bondo or even JB Weld make sure you grease up the back side of the speedo so it wont stick permanatley)

It was totally worth the effort. I've had my truck scince 1996 ...dont know why I didn't do this years ago.

The attached picture shows the holes that need be drilled for the non cable drive clusters.

tacoma_interior_292.jpg

5. Feb 15, 2014 at 10:02 PM
    Yoda the Taco

Yoda the Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Kingsport
    Vehicle:
    Majestic White Stallion
    00 front end swap 3 inch spacer/block 01 dash swap Flux capacitor 04 center console tach cluster swap avatar-10 hyperdrive 02 door panels powerlocks/keyless entry electric fan swap 4runner seats
    Nice post! Does the speedo work/ read correctly? I've also had trouble coming up with a new cluster for my 96 and I've considered something like this

6. Feb 16, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    Very clean looking! most people wouldnt know it wasnt stock :thumbsup:

7. Feb 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    offrdmania

offrdmania Taco Wagon

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Templeton, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma LX 4 banger
    I just did one no problem on a 96 that was a direct swap without modification. Just need to make sure you pull one from another truck with the same engine and tranny setup. I even swapped over my odometer tumbler so that the mileage was correct. But for the odometer tumbler swap you must check your state laws to see if it is legal. I am in California where the law only states that the correct mileage must be visible.

Here is one for an automatic 4cyl that will drop right in
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-96-97-Toyota-Tacoma-A-T-Instrument-Gauge-Cluster-Tach-Speedo-196K-4cyl-/360854359957?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996|Model%3ATacoma&hash=item5404988f95&vxp=mtr

Here is one for a 5-speed V6
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-96-97-To...1996|Model:Tacoma&hash=item4d0e4c143f&vxp=mtr

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Apr 12, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    interst8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Vehicle:
    Its red
    Im in California too. Mine still has the origonal odometer. I modded the electronic speedo cluster so I could install my original cable op speedo/odemeter.

The direct swap clusters are really hard to find. I would have gone that route but i couldnt find one.

Products Discussed in

To Top