Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Aftermarket Passenger Grab Handle, "Oh Sh!t" Handle

Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
yotapilot is on a distinguished road
Marines:
yotapilot's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket Passenger Grab Handle, "Oh Sh!t" Handle

I have a 2001 Double Cab and the passenger side has no grab handle above the door like most vehicles have. It only has the handle on the A pillar.

While driving offroad with my wife she was complaining that there is nothing for her to hold on to. She is too short to reach the A pillar handle while seat belted in, plus I don't think it would help much for bracing anyway.

So my question is....does anyone know of, or has anyone ever installed an aftermarket grab handle above the door or in any other location in a first generation tacoma?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
SR5Stephen is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
SR5Stephen's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like something you would have to custom fabricate. I hope you're familiar with drilling/tapping into metal. Welding knowledge/experience would also sound like a big help. The doors have handles, no?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to add a grab handle then as stated above, have a look at the metal behind the panels where you want to put one. I can't remember what it looked like above the door when I had the trim off, but typical is a boxed channel area to provide crash support/roof support.

Double check what is behind where you want to put the handle (like any harnesses) and what sort of clearance you have between metal panels. If all a go then my suggestion would be to get a nut cert tool. Probably not the correct name, but what we always called it. The tool crushes a threaded barrel nut into the hole you drill so that you have a threaded nut cert to bolt the handle on with. You can crush the nut cert in place with a bolt, nuts and washers, but hey...anytime you can buy another tool has to be good right?

Mounting this way will be close to factory.

Handle wise you could just get another Toyota handle to match your interior or go to the junk yard and just find a bolt on that you like that will fit the area.